Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer screen is blank! I've been having some problems for the past week or two with my computer and then yesterday I went away from it for a while and when I came back it looked like the "blue screen of death" was up but there was no text, just a blank blue screen. Now whenever I start up nothing happens, it seems like everything works on the tower but there's just a blank screen, and the light on the moniter blinks like there's nothing to read.
The only recent hardware added was a wireless network a few weeks ago, but it seems to work fine. Recent problems include having to update my sound driver due to cpu restarting and now this, however I have had plenty of graphics card problems, but not for a while.

Built the computer a year ago and haven't had much problems after the first month or two. I'm running windows XP with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card, and ECS socket 478 motherboard, and a 350W power supply, if you need any more info on specs let me know. I figured it's one of these 3 screwing up, so is there any way to test it or something I can do?

·
Registered
423 Posts
pinout problem most likely. have you checked the end of the monitor cable to see if any of the pins a missing? do you happen to have another monitor, possible froma second computer in your house you could use to test the vid card?

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Its highly unlikely that a pin would "go miising in action" though.

First verify the PC is actually booting up.
When you think it should be going, check the keyboard lights. Pressing Caps Lock should toggle the light on or off, if that does not work then the PC is simply not booting.

So, look at the PSU, CPU, RAM etc.

·
Registered
423 Posts
kiwiguy said:
Its highly unlikely that a pin would "go miising in action" though.

the blue screen with no text followed by the monitor not detecting a connection made it seem appropriate. you know start simple....

·
Registered
423 Posts
don't wiggle it from side to side. that could break the connection to the motherboard rendering the board useless. it couldn't hurt to remove the video card properly and reinserting it correctly.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I agree that the monitor should be tested on a nother computer, but it sounds more like a software problem than a hard ware problem. THe blue screen means that it is indeed getting a signal from the computer, just not what you want it too. Do you get the computer boot plash screen or post test screen before it goes blue?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Good Evening Gentlemen, No doubt you have you tried belting the crap out of the thing!!
Cheers, qldit.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Seriously, it has the symptoms of a power supply dying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies...

However none of them helped :)

Here's the update, it's not the graphics card, the computer is simply not booting up at all.

I put in a new motherboard and it still didn't work! So I thought it might be the power supply, so I tried a power supply a friend had that worked, plugged that into the new mobo and still nothing! I am so very confused...

Does anyone know what the basic parts are that a computer needs to start up at all, I don't care about it working, just what it needs to start up...I think its just the motherboard and the power supply am I right? I tried starting it up with the new mobo, both the other power supply and my own, and nothing else. I thought it might be the processor, but I'm not sure, with it in or out it doesn't make a difference.

This could be another stupid question, but is there any way the case could be affecting it? Any thoughts at all would help, thanks.

Oh and yes I tried smacking it and it didn't make it work :)

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
If you are not even getting Fan startup with a new MOBO and PS, I would look at the MOST BASIC possibilities:

1. Power Cord is bad?

2. No power to the wall receptacle?

3. Bad Power-on Switch/cable?

4. Not so basic....Processor gone bad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the fans do start up, and the light on the mobo is on when connected to the power supply and plugged into the wall. i tried using a different power cord and different wall outlet as well. how do i know if its a bad processor? will the computer boot up at all if it's bad?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
G'day Gatsby, it may well be worth trying a simple PCI videocard. The more complex type can be more difficult.
If all the fans are running, and the thing is giving a short beep at start, I would expect a monitor display of some kind.
If one of the power rails is low voltage it commonly happens that the video card will not function. (assuming all proper conditions are met with processor and memory etc.)
Qldit.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
minumum to start the computer would be mobo/processor, PSU, 1 stick of proper ram, video card and monitor. That should get you through POST and to the bios entry screen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
like it said, its not the video card that is the problem. the fans work, yes, but the computer is not starting up, there are no beeps. i tried another video card in the computer and it still didn't work so that is not the problem.

I don't even want it to get through POST, I just want to find out what piece of hardware is the problem. All I want is for it to start up somehow, have anything on the screen at all. For that do I need the processor, or can I just have the mobo, power supply, video card and moniter working? This is because I am thinking the processor is the problem but I have no way of telling right now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gats, I just dealt with this (or similar) issue. i dont know if this will work for you, but it worked for me.

I was experiencing the same thing, blank screen, no beeps, fans running. I switched mobos, the new mobo had a new four point plug that the old one did not so you may have to look at a new psu if you have an new mobo. Once I got action on the screen the boot would lock up at mup.sys, at which point I had to disconnect the hdd and hook it up to my other computer and save data, format the drive (quick format sufficed) and then put it back in the original PC, boot with the windows cd and there it was...
true had to re-network and reinstall some programs, but *shrugs* the damn thing works again....lol. Sorry for your troubles and good luck.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
G'day Gentlemen, it often happens that a focus is given to one particular problem being involved when that effect is only that thing apparent from another cause.
If you consider the major power consuming items in your machine, you have the various drives, the processor and the videocard, especially in the case of upmarket types.
So by returning to the most basic system as Dusty suggested is the best path.
In that the video card is pretty heavy on power it is further helped to use a simple card as a troubleshooting guide.
So if we can remove any superflous power using devices and have a simple basic organised motherboard, processor, memory, and simple video card kind of set up with no other devices connected or with no other devices connected to the powersupply we have the best available testing kind of circumstance.
This should allow something to happen and a basic BIOS screen to be reached if it is at all possible with the system components at hand. You must consider the power supply might be incapable of supplying higher currents or some component may be drawing excessive power which may be killing the thing. This commonly occurs if the five volt rail runs low.
So if the machine does not respond in the reduced basic minimal operating circumstance then each of the remaining components is tried.
The power supply or memory is usually easiest, that leaves processor and motherboard. Generally when you reach this level, eight times out of ten it will be a motherboard with a problem.
So that gives an idea of an action plan.
Cheers, qldit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So since I tried starting it up with the basic system and it still didn't work, and I know its not the RAM, graphics card, power supply, or moniter, then is it safe to assume its my processor that is messed up, since my mobo is brand new?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
G'day gatsby, you must never assume, most especially in this kind of situation it can be an expensive error. Things are never as they seem!
So you have confimed your memory, video card and power supply, are all definitely OK (and would bet items from your nether regions that this is absolutely certain!) and now have by elimination determined that the problem is either the motherboard or processor.
In that the motherboard is new, you are discounting it using logic, but most often it will most likely be the problem, probably in eight out of ten cases.
Could you possibly take it back to the procurement source for testing??
Most warehouse computer supply places have their own service and repair setup where they could test either your M/B or processor.
I am most often wrong with my determinations so apply commonsense to your action plan bearing this in mind.
Cheers. qldit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.