Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help. I'm running a P4 2.4 ghz machine running Windows 2000. I was watching a DVD on it 2 days ago, and it locked up. Just plain froze. Like hitting pause. No cursor movement etc. Rebooting wouldn't help, it would lock up during boot sequence. Let it sit overnight. Started up, within 3 minutes, same thing. Decided to run Norton from the cd. Needed to change cmos boot sequence to read cd first. Problem is, it locks even when I'm trying to change the bios. It's not even reading an operating system yet. It's only 2 1/2 years old. Could it be a cmos battery, or would you think motherboard?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If the time and date did not change and you did not get a checksum error then the CMOS battery is ok, first most obvious thing to check is the DVD drive disconnect the power lead and data cable and try to boot, if it still locks up try disconnecting another component etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I kind of doubt the dvd burner is the problem, as when I'm booting, I hit the F8 key and jump straight to the bios. I only have a few seconds there, and it freezes. I did get some extra time after letting it sit overnight though.....maybe 5 to 8 minutes. Thats when I decided to try the Norton. I needed to change the bios to boot to the cd first, and thats where I'm currently at. I'm thinking when I get home tomight, after it's been sitting overnight, that I'll get more time before it hangs again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys, sorry it took so long to reply further on this, but it took me awhile to be able to change the cpu fan in the computer. (I live in the sticks) Anyway, the computer is STILL hanging up. It's taking alot longe r now to hang, (15 minutes), but it's still doing it. When in cmos setup, and watching the hardware manager, the computer is hanging when the cpu temp is reaching 172 degrees. Now, there is no processing going on, as I'm just watching that setup page. With the new fan, and huge heat sink, what could be causing the cpu to get so darn hot?
Thaks,
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made sure there wasn't any dust blocking anything, wires blocking the fan, etc. Made sure there wasn't any cellophane on the thermal grease, and so on. Anyway, my cpu is reaching 172 degrees and freezing up within 15 minutes now. Adding the new fan improved things, i.e. made it go from 3 minutes or less to freezing. It has to be something else I'm thinking.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
you have gotta take a close look at how you put the cpu fan/paste together,your cpu temps are way to high......... take it apart and make sure its on the right way etc..

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Evoman said:
I made sure there wasn't any dust blocking anything, wires blocking the fan, etc. Made sure there wasn't any cellophane on the thermal grease, and so on. Anyway, my cpu is reaching 172 degrees and freezing up within 15 minutes now. Adding the new fan improved things, i.e. made it go from 3 minutes or less to freezing. It has to be something else I'm thinking.
You keep running it that hot, and you're going to have way bigger problems than freezing after 15 minutes :eek: Why don't you just mail me the cpu before you ruin it :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was pre-installed on the new heatsink. It was about a 1 1/2 inch square of a white grease like substance in wafer form. There was nothing for me to do except attach it, unless there is something else I should have purchased and installed. This is a home computer, so until I figure out whats up, it's not getting started again. I'm using my work computer for this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.