Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 17" Gateway laptop that i bought in 2007. It has Windows Vista, 120 GB hard drive, and 1 GB memory. My computer works fine when on a flat hard surface but when i move it or put it on a bed where there is movement the screen goes dark, but there is still power going to the computer. Most of the time when i turn off the computer pick it up and shake or move it around a little the computer will start up normally again, but other times it will start with no screen, but there is still power and the num lock light is still on but the cpu or hard drive light i'm not sure which that light represents(i'm pretty sure it is the hard drive light) does not come on either.

Please Help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no it does not overheat. Once i turn it on even when it's been off for days, the second i move it it goes blank. and i've used it all the time before for hours and it's never overheated on me.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Using any laptop on a bed, the carpet or similar such places is inviting overheating problems, unless you place something firm such as a thick magazine or book large enough for the laptop to sit on fully underneath it. This keeps the vents clear and the air flowing.

If your video cuts out from movement it sounds like the connection between the Motherboard and the Monitor is not real secure. Have you got an external monitor you can plug into the laptop? If so see if it does the same thing on the external.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.