Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have four computers on a wired network in my home. Everyting has been running fine. About two weeks ago my computer has been acting strangely. It will freeze then unfreeze while I am typing in MS Word, e-mail, and do this wile playing games. It is driving me crazy. I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz and 2 GB RAM with two ATI Radeon X1950 video cards. The only thing I have changed is that I added a wired laser printer and a wireless HP multi-function inkjet printer. When I pull up task manager everyting is above 50 percent and up to 100 percent alot of time. I have de-fragmented the hard drive, checked for viruses, and cleaned files. I am stumped why this is happening now and didn't happen before. Any ideas? Any online techs that can take a look at my system and solve it?

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Clean your PC: You might get a can of air available at most large retailers. Open the case and use the duster to clean out your computer. Dirt and dust accumulate in fans, CPU coolers and every nook and cranny inside your system. A small paint brush or make up brush can be used to get the larger dust balls. You can use the crevice tool on a household vacuum but be extremely careful with that. You don't want to suck a jumper off of its connectors.

System cooling: I'm sure those 2 video cards get hot enough to fry an egg. Install more fans in your case to improve airflow. Installing a fan to draw air through the case instead of pushing it through is best. A fan in front can be used to bring in cooler air so the fan in back can pull it out. Heat rises, so the upper fan should draw out.

Cause elimination:
Power off the new devices and run things for a few hours. Turn on 1 of them and keep on testing. That helps eliminate the cause of your problem so you can focus on the "offending" item.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had already done some air cleaning. I am curious about the video cards. I am thinking about replacing it with one NVidia card. I am also thinking about unhooking the computer from the network and see what happens, plus unplugging the new devices I added.

I notice the software that came with the HP multifunction printer messed up my computer with Vista Uptimate, so I have to check that out. I discovered other people have had this problem also.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.