Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a wd5000abys wd re2 harddrive, which I installed in a new external sata enclosure. I have an old dell dimension 8250 with eide, My problems is my enslosure is usb-2 sata, and my hdd is sata, when I hook it up windows recognizes two new drives: removable disk F and G . I have a wd passport which works just fine. My computer has Windows xp home sp3, I have a D-Link usb hub, my internal hdd is WD 160 g, eide.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Is the USB hub powered? This sounds like you might not be getting enough power to the drive. They sell ones that plug in to the wall to provide extra power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hub is powered and the enclosure each has its own power supply. I finally got the data lifeguard program to see it, but it says it is inactive. I can't get it to show up in device manager or in my computer. This is all brand new stuff, and the enclosure lights up and the fan works good.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Try this.

Right click on My Computer.
Choose Manage (This will open the Computer Management window).
Go to the Storage category and select Disk Management
Right click the new drive (usually listed as Hard Disk 1) and "initialize"
You now have the option to partition and format the drive.
The default settings of Primary Partition and NTFS- Quick Format are recommended for most users.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Well, just goes to show you that all is not lost. I had convinced myself that this was going to be a plug n play operation, and so hadn't even considered taking those steps. Alas, they fixed the whole thing, and if I hadn't been so hard headed would have had this working long ago this morning. Thanks a lot, and you taught an ole 74 year old to never take anything for granted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.