Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem is, everytime i play a game my computer crashes within 2 to 20 minutes. Sometimes it gives a blue screen wich doesn't give any useable information. The other times the screen freezes, nothing reacts anymore and the sounds loops over and over in a humming noise. The games i play are rather new,
Total war series, Medal of Honor (that new one), etc.
I also play less graphical games like Minecraft.

The computer specs are as followed:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
RAM: 8GB
Power: 600W Cooler Master

Hope to hear from you guys soon

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like either a driver problem with your video or some hardware compatibility problem with your video. I doubt your overheating or anything by the looks of your machine so it almost has to be video related...card malfunctioning, or something similar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, a driver problem would be weird. I use the program DriverDetective to the newest drivers automaticly and because of this problem i also manually update my drivers to the newest. I also tried some beta drivers but those didn't really fix the problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you dont any research on specific games to see if that model card has any known issues. More often than not some cards are just not very compatible with games.

Try googling the game name with your video card like

Medal of honor geforce 9800

One of the posts i read about a lagging problem was fixed by editing the config file and forcing Dx10 in medal of honor...

"Freezing/Lagging Problem fixed, I forced DX10 in the config file, and now all seems good!!!
Edit:
After changing the config file from DX - Auto to DX - 10 I also have gotten a rather large boost in FPS! Now I'm averaging 60-100fps. The game looks and runs great on my G51."

Something to try if nothing else.

Id also recommend running a benchmark and comparing it with other similar cards output to see if yours is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, i'll try that right now. Thanks for the reply!

Edit:

To bad that wasn't the solution. I also forgot to mention, that sometimes when my computer crashes and i press the reboot button. On reboot it asks me if i want to configure the BIOS or just load the default settings and boot up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
what about flashing the bios?
the only time i have ever been asked if i wanna do something like "configure bios manually" or something to that effect was the time i decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and i accidently made a mess of it and got the past on the cpu pins and on the board it sits on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, have actually already tried that. Before i had flashed the BIOS i used to get a lot of blue screens. After the flash most of the blue screens were gone, but the crashing remained. Only now without the blue screens.

·
Registered
170 Posts
have you run a chkdsk? could be some bad sectors on the hard drive corrupting everything.
open cmd promt and just type in chkdsk see what happens. you could also download a free trial of tune up utilities to fix any structural errors. i have the full program and swear by it....here is the link

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

run the 1 click maintenance and i bet you have lots of errors, i run it once a week and it keeps my pc in top notch condition

also you could download a hard drive tune up http://www.hdtune.com/ awesome program use the "check for errors" tab

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the computer is currently running the Checkdisk, i'm on a laptop right now. No problems found though. Will report when its done.

Edit:

Well, i'm pretty bummed this didn't help as well. The hard disks didnt have any errors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply,

And it can't be a virus, i frequently scan with avast anti virus (paid version). Also, since the first crash i've left the casing open.

What i've found out is that the graphics card exceeds the framelimit and goes bananas. Therefor i had to lower the screenresolution to limit the framelimit. This has helped somewhat, but didn't cure it.

·
Registered
43,174 Posts
( The other times the screen freezes, nothing reacts anymore and the sounds loops over and over in a humming noise. )
An issue with the sound card/onboard sound could also cause the game to crash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the reply, i've tried the V-sync on the Nvidia driver and i must say that games like Minecraft or Napoleon total war crash a whole lot less. However the crashing still hasn't been totally cured.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Can you give us a bit more information about your system. If its a 'big brand' name like HP or Dell, what is the exact make and model (include the service tag number if possible).

If its a self / custom build can you also give us the make and model of Motherboard and RAM, what case are you using and what fan setup do you have in it?

First thing I would check is temps, I am not sure how you chaostheory can tell it wouldn't be overheating just from the information you gave. Download and install HWMonitor then run the program. Leave the windows open and run a game for 5-10 minutes (hopefully it won't crash), then close the game down and either screenshot the HWMonitor window and post the picture or type the temps out in a reply. Be sure to include the Minimum and Maximum temps, current temp isn't as important.

I had a similar problem with the 8800GT I had in my old system, after 5 years I never managed to solve it but did find that keeping the GPU under 75C would stop crashes totally, if it went over 75C it would sometimes crash. This temp is within the 8800GT operating temps and it would only crash in games, never when stress tested.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.