Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i was thinking of taking some schooling soon, something to do with computers but dont really know what part of the computer industry makes money any more or is successful. Anyone have any ideas on this that would be awsome. Thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
These days, do not go into computers/IT for the money...you will be sorely disappointed! Go into something that you like to do...life to too short to be spending 8 or more hours a day doing something you don't like simply for the money.

If you do, in fact, love to work with computers, then ask yourself in which area you find yourself most enthusiastic - and work with it.

Just my two cents!

MBN

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
jonathan731 said:
Yea i've been wondering....what computer indutry can i earn the most money in?
Never do a job for the money.

You'll be dissapointed when the market shifts and you aren't making the bucks anymore.

Find a job you love doing and it won't matter. Also, if you truly love what you do, you'll make more money because you won't mind working harder, taking more training, becoming better at your job and advancing faster than if you are in a job you hate.

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
jonathan731 said:
I love to do any work with computers but i also want to earn a good pay so I would like to get into a career with computers but one that will allow me to live a good live.
Well...you may want to take a few english courses too...

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
I've bee in the PC Support business for several years. I've worked for Hitachi, Micron, Compaq, & Gateway. I'm far from rich, but I enjoy the phone support aspect when dealing with people and fixing problems. I'd much rather be working "Desktop support" for an IT department, but until I complete my Bachellor's Degree, it's really hard to get where I realy want to be...which is working with all the cool network stuff!

But I'm happy where I'm at now(for now) working phone support for a software company. I get to use my OS, PC, & networking skills!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you are good you can get both but the biggest problem is everyone has all the certs now and everyone knows how to do all the comptuer stuff now... well not everyone but you know what i mean, basicaly there are too many people trying for the same industry

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
Fastlane247 said:
if you are good you can get both but the biggest problem is everyone has all the certs now and everyone knows how to do all the comptuer stuff now... well not everyone but you know what i mean, basicaly there are too many people trying for the same industry
And yet guidance counsellers are still telling kids to go into computers because that's where the jobs are. :mad:

Damnit, the industry is saturated!

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Fastlane247 said:
The only thing that MOST Certs mean (A+, MCP, MCSE, etc) is that you can pass a test!

I have no certs and can run circles around most "Paper" MCSE's!

The Degree and actual experience is what alot of companies are looking at nowadays!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SexyTech said:
The only thing that MOST Certs mean (A+, MCP, MCSE, etc) is that you can pass a test!

I have no certs and can run circles around most "Paper" MCSE's!

The Degree and actual experience is what alot of companies are looking at nowadays!
very good point... and i have to agree half the people who work here have all the certs and i have none and i am better at computers then any of them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.