Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running windows XP.

I believe I have contracted a virus on other malware. My computer constantly attempts to restart itself. I am able to access the internet and some other features through task manager. Starting in the safe mode I have selected did not fix the problem.

What should I do to make amends to this issue?

I currently have installed

Ad-ware 2007
Spybot Search & Destroy
Hijack this
AVG
Mcafee

My concern is that some of these won't run properly when the computer tries to restart every 10 seconds or so. Perhaps I can get that to stop somehow long enough to try and run the anti-malware devices...

Thanks in advance.

-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Have you checked your power supply unit. Sometimes when this unit starts to go bad and doesn't cool enough. The pc proc-unit heat up which causes the pc to shut down/startup.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
19,815 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSG.
As said above Overheating can be the cause and also faulty Ram etc.
Do you hear any beeps at startup?
No beeps can indicate either a Power Supply or Motherboard problem.

Turn the computer off and disconnect it from the power
Take off the side of the case and touch the bare metal chassis to discharge static.
Remove Ram..Video cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
Also try different slots.
Ensure it is seated correctly.
Reseat Video card.

Check Hard drive and Motherboard connections [IDE]
Take them off and reseat them.

Inspect the case for dust etc.
Remove the dust..do not use a vacuum cleaner

Check that the processor fan rotate. Check for dust.

Turn on and listen for a beep.

A properly working computer should beep once while booting, and the lights on the keyboard should flash while booting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the tips.

I looked on the blaster link posted and that got me thinking. After a little downloading and some searching, I found a vturq.dll file, and an nnnljii.dll file. I think it is a vundo issue. I downloaded and ran Combofix after checking another thread. So far it seems to have worked. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed. Just within the last few days, it looks like there have been at least 20 threads on vundo problems. Annoying little sucker indeed!

The program that showed me the problem file was Security Task Manager. Very helpful.

Will post more if problem recurrs.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the tips.

I looked on the blaster link posted and that got me thinking. After a little downloading and some searching, I found a vturq.dll file, and an nnnljii.dll file. I think it is a vundo issue. I downloaded and ran Combofix after checking another thread. So far it seems to have worked. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed. Just within the last few days, it looks like there have been at least 20 threads on vundo problems. Annoying little sucker indeed!

The program that showed me the problem file was Security Task Manager. Very helpful.

Will post more if problem recurrs.
AVG and McAfee at same time?

Not a good idea to have two anti-virus programs at the same time.
I'd uninstall both and re-install one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do. AVG is uninstalled. Will work with mcafee for the time being. I am going to do some reading and see what I can do to beef up security a little. Spent too many hours on this litlte problem this weekend.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.