Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend just had a new fan installed in his tower and new programs put on the system.
The person who did this used individualized programs - so only certain programs from windows, firefox Ccleaner etc.
He also put a program on the computer that would completely erase everything from the computer. Being a newbie the boyfriend clicked the cleaner/eraser and now has nothing inon his C drive there are no drives - nothing. Also, the poerson who installed all of this has left the province so we cannot get in touch with him.
I think he was using Windows xp but not sure and it has been completely cleaned as well
Any suggestions?

Thanks Sus

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
How did a program wipe/delete everything from a drive it was installed on?
It would be wiping itself as well. Did it happen immediately? Have to reboot?

Sounds like one of those "harmless" pranks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The person who re-formatted and added the program thought the boyfriend might like to delete programs and places he had visited and put in a program that deleted everything

·
Registered
178 Posts
wiped clean = nothing, nada, zip, no OS, no programs, no data.
It is like taking the HD out completely. How would u feel with no memory?
It would make it a little hard to walk and talk and eat.

The only thing to do is to load it up again. If u don't have the cookies and ice cream then u will have to get it from somewhere.

beg borrow steal buy<< there is an idea, with a value on it U may not lose it again.

If that is too high tech u could just buy another computer ready to go.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Make sure to burn Linux as an .iso image (type of file).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to thank RootbeaR and ruggb for all of their help - we truly appreciate the assistance and I should have him back up and running by tomorrow - thank you so much

Sus

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
You're welcome!

Need more help with it, post in the Unix/Linux section(If you went the Linux route).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.