Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OS is XP home:service pack 2. in the 'disk clean up' box(my computer/right click-properties/cleanup) i have an accumulating daily figure of files listed for compression.i do not want/need to use this facility and wish to know if there is a way to disable/uninstall it from this box. i did this recently with the 'webclient/publisher temp.files' section(which was always showing 32KB) as i did not need it either.for this i used the services msc in'run'. is there a way to similarly treat the aforementioned compression entry? i can not work out how this can be erased from box. suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You can do it but it requires editing the registry.
If you are comfortable doing so then here is how. (the first section tells you how to backup the key you will be editing) If you don't want to backup then proceed to step 5.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Billy the Adult said:
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
Even though this "fix" can be widely found on the web, I really don't think it works.

Have you actually done this?

When I delete the key, it gets recreated the next time that DiskCleanup is run, and the option is still there.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi Phil, yes I have done it on another pc and it stayed deleted. I know this because I later had to use the link from Kelly's Korner to reinstall it.. It may re-install on some versions of Windows, but it didn't on that particular unit. Personally if I don't want to use that feature I just uncheck it, and would be my first recommendation, but I was just trying to answer his question.. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
many thanks for advice above. i have followed instructions as given(deleting registry key),have rebooted and opened 'diskclean'again-all seems well and offending item has not reappeared in box.
help/comments appreciated by all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.