Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am looking at setting up a board. It would be a specialized board with both public forums as well as private, member only forums.

I doubt if the thing were ever to grow to a membership beyond the hundreds.

I like the VBoard but that may be because I hang out here so much and am familar with the feel of it. :)

The VBoard would cost about $160.00.

PHP Bulletin Board is a free open source board that appears to be fairly popular. I believe both are supported well with online forums etc.

My level of expertise is about that of an intermediate user in nature.

My quesion of you is simple. Do you have experience in comparing the two boards? What should I look for as far as setting it up and maintaining it? Feel free to get me thinking as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
PHP is a programming language - I'm guessing you're refering to the forum software phpBB? Its a great prduct, should be more than powerful enough for most uses. I'd suggest spending some time at phpbb.org forums and phpbbhacks.com forums. They have tons of great info.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brendandonhu said:
PHP is a programming language - I'm guessing you're refering to the forum software phpBB? Its a great prduct, should be more than powerful enough for most uses. I'd suggest spending some time at phpbb.org forums and phpbbhacks.com forums. They have tons of great info.
Thanks brendandonhu - Long time no read! Hope you are doing well. I will edit my post to clarify.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mostly, because it's free. Also, it's easy to install/use/customize. The features in it are endless, and it's just a good, overall board, in which i've had no problems in the past with.

Oh, and also, most host have Cpanel, with a phpBB installer at the click of one button.

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
I use phpBB on a few sites Rep. Simply put, I love it. It's simple to use, and just as robust as vBulletin.

FYI, you need a webhost that supports PHP and mySQL for either of the options, since vBulletin is also coded in PHP and uses a mySQL database (well...technically they support other databases like MSSqlServer, and PostgreSQL, but the standard install uses mySQL).

If you have any questions just ask :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gibble. In checking the official sites for both systems, I think, (on first glance), the VBulletin board has an easier to follow instruction manuel. An issue that I know would be important to me. Yet, your comment on PHP's ease of use allows a comfort level for me.

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
Rep said:
Thanks Gibble. In checking the official sites for both systems, I think, (on first glance), the VBulletin board has an easier to follow instruction manuel. An issue that I know would be important to me. Yet, your comment on PHP's ease of use allows a comfort level for me.
Don't forget...I'm a computer programmer...so I find complex apps simple to use ;)

But, saying that, I've got friends who are not programmers, just average users, who had been able to setup and run phpBB systems without issue.

Have you researched (or do you have) a webhost yet?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gibble said:
Don't forget...I'm a computer programmer...so I find complex apps simple to use ;)

But, saying that, I've got friends who are not programmers, just average users, who had been able to setup and run phpBB systems without issue.

Have you researched (or do you have) a webhost yet?
Hehe - I would be one of those ppl that is not a programmer. I am though programmable in that I read stuff before I do. Well, most of the time. I know I will have to spend less time in civ deb while I get it up.

I currently have a webhost. It is managed through a friend. He is more technically advanced than I. Through him I supervise, (I suggest content, he puts it up), two websites. With this project I would ask him to get the system up on the host to the point where I could then set up and run the board myself.

I do know that the host will need to meet certain requirements and I will have to check those out before either purchasing or D/Ling the board.

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
Well, if I'm not mistaken, there are scripts that will convert a phpBB database to a vBulletin database, so you could start with phpBB and if you site is successful and you feel you'd rather use vBulletin you can convert in the future...

just a though

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gibble said:
Well, if I'm not mistaken, there are scripts that will convert a phpBB database to a vBulletin database, so you could start with phpBB and if you site is successful and you feel you'd rather use vBulletin you can convert in the future...

just a though
And a good thought. I will remeber to check that out. I did go back and took a second look at the PHPBB documentation. I have a better second impression.

Are there any security issues I need to consider. My board will not hold real sensitive information. I am more concerned about hacks and that sort of thing. I do not want to spend my life fixing things over and over again.

·
Administrator
15,304 Posts
We ran a test phpBB board a looong time ago and had problems with it. I can't remember any specific issues except that it created a much larger load on the server than vBulletin. Anyway, I'm sure that's not the case anymore as everyone has much newer versions out. I just wanted to jump in and give my obvious vote to vBulletin. Simply put, I love it. We've had very little trouble with it compared to other forums software we've used over the years, and they're always keeping it up to date... also, as you mentioned, there is a large base of use and support for it. Having not used phpBB in some time, I'm not really qualified to compare them anymore, though. If you're really determined not to spend the $160 yet, I'm with Gibble -- you can always upgrade later. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I feel honored to have posted on a thread that techguy used :p
But on a serius note: It all depend mostly on what kind of site you're running. If you make money off it, a payed for board may be the best. If it's a little site that a mid amount of users will use, a free board like phpBB is the way to go. Or, you can always spend a few days and make your own :D

·
Moderator (deceased) Gone but never forgotten
47,973 Posts
I find that the installation instructions for many of these progs seem to be written for programers and not for those of us that are not above average Linux/UNIX servers. :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
phpBB was recently in the news when hackers discovered a serious security vulnerability in it. The company(?) issued a quick update which took care of the vulnerability however, so just be sure you have the newest version.

Here's a link to the phpBB forum post on it:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=240636

And a quick Google search for 'phpBB vulnerability' will give you tons of info on what went wrong if you're interested.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like phpBB...only because I don't see the logic of spending money on something that is available for free.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, totally. I have used it in the past for my forums as well. I don't see anything wrong with it, I just thought that its recent security troubles were relevant to the thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.