Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My girlfriends roommates computer is a Compaq F500. She went home for the weekend and left her laptop at her dorm room. When she came back her wireless no longer worked.

There is nothing in the device manage under network adapters for wireless. the switch to turn on the wireless on the front stays orange not blue when she turns it on.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
88 Posts
First of all download the driver for whatever wireless adapter she has.

(You can find out by unscrewing the bottem panel and just looking at the model of it. Usually covered by a white piece of rubber/plastic)

After you figure it out and download it you may have to burn it to CD to get it to the laptop. Install it and if that doesnt work you will probably have to ether buy a new adapter or one you can slide into the side of the laptop...

If you give me the whole model number of the computer (usually on bottom of laptop on a label) I can look on Compaq's site and find it....

Should look like "Compaq F50XXX" 1st X should be a number the 2nd 2 X's should be letters.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since the driver was just there, and one can presume she didn't uninstall it, I doubt that will fix it.

Let's see if Windows even realizes that anything is there, which doesn't require a driver.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
  2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
  3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It says anything under network adapters.....
Reading comprehension isn't your long suit, is it?

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
  2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
  3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Were there any devices elsewhere in error in Device Manager?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That indicates the wireless hardware is not recognized at all by Windows. It's either disabled in the BIOS, or the wireless card has died.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.