Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please tell me what compacting emails does?? does it mean I will lose my emails?? my OE started doing this this evening so I stopped it quickly just incase. I am afraid of losing my emails. Any advice please?? :)

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
All the emails are stored in a "database file".
If you ever delete an email, that space is just "empty space" in the database file.

Compacting eliminates the empty space to make the system more efficient. It is fine to do.

But, if your emails are that valuable and you do not have them backed up then you should consider doing so anyway. Hard drive failures are unfortunately very common, and you stand to lose everything in such circumstances.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Hi dmcd

I agree with kiwiguy's comments.

To keep this process from running 'unchecked' or 'unrestrained'...

Tools>Options>Maintenance tab, if there, remove the checkmark for Compact messages in the background.
Apply, OK to save and close.
Always check for this when creating a new Identity as allowing this process to run in the background can lead to corruption of your messages. SP2 for XP addresses this issue and corrects it to be unchecked by default.

Since you interrupted the compaction process, you may have a .dbt file that needs to be reintegrated with its original .dbx file.
To correct this,
With all programs closed,
Open Outlook Express,
Click on the Local Folder
File > Work Offline
File > Folder > Compact all Folders

Walk away from the computer until the compaction process is completed.

Compact your messages monthly, more frequently if you delete many messages.

Allowing the Compaction of messages in the background to run automatically, can lead to corruption of message stores as you may be accessing the same file that is in the process of being compacted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.