Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Which do you like best?

• Coke

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pepsi

Votes: 12 42.9%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I can't choose, with so many other options out there!
Roller Cola, Colorado Cola, Virgin, Cresta, Panda, My Mum's, Low****s, Best Buy's... All delicious (!!)

Gram

·
Registered
841 Posts
I drank coke "classic" for years (when I was much younger) but now I find it's much too hard on the tummy. The only soft drink I drink now is Canada Dry gingerale-unless I'm having a drink of rye, then the pop mix has to be coke. :D

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I like pepsi. Doesn't leave your teeth with that grimmy sugar feeling. BUT over all pop's I would chose gingerale...any brand gingerale.

·
Registered
852 Posts
But do you guys remember Wilson's Golden Amber GA or Vernor's (which I understand may still be available in Canada.)

Ah sweet nectars of my youth.

And why does everybody over 70 nominate Schweppes as #1? Can't fathom it!

And BTW, what ever became of honey dew?

:)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I chose pepsi. Coke classic is second. I used to be strictly Dr Pepper , however the use of corn fructose started in '83 I think it was. After that Dr Peppers were always to darn sweet

Savvy :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
LadyLisa:

Honey Dew was/is(?) a delicious orange drink which we used to enjoy at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto in the 50's. As I remember it, it was a soda I think but it must have been mixed with real OJ cause it had flecks of oranges in it.

It was sold at hot dog stands called Honey Dew (I think) which were actually run by a chain of restaurants in Canada called Honey Dew Restaurants.

When I started work after high school in Toronto, I remember I used to breakfast on fresh hot corn muffins and honey dew at one of the restaurants in downtown Toronto near The Prudential building where I worked at King and Yonge Streets.

Pru is no longer there I don't think. It was a wonderful company to work for with some great products and wonderful people. It's a company that sure has a checkered history now. I wonder how it's doing now and if it was affected seriously by September 11th?

I am sure this must be fascinating stuff! Thanks for reading this far. Got any interesting memories of your first job?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I've gotta say Manzana Lift is BY FAR the best ever. Candy... do you guys get that stuff in Acapulco? I have only seen it in Mainland Mexico. (I guess you don't ever pop in here to Never-Never Land, but just checking) Great stuff... anyway, I choose Pepsi over Coke, because even though it is the "classic", and I drink it more often than Pepsi, it tastes too kinda starchy... (then why the hell do I drink it?) ...ya got me.

What is it with you Canadians and your gingerale? Is that stuff really THAT good? It seems like it is your national pastime. I always thought it was maple syrup or something... I don't know. lol... I'm only joking, but seriously, I haven't had gingerale since I was about 5, and it might have been in Canada, who knows... what is so special about it? I think I will have to go pick up some and find out for myself... (sorry for barging in on this all-Canadian discussion of gingerale.)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Wen - Low****s came in glass litre bottles, and were delivered by the 'pop man' on his truck!
They had all the usual awful sweet flavours - Cherryade, Limeade Orangeade etc, but also Strawberry and Bubblegum flavours.

Do you remember Quattro? That was my favourite as a kid. Well, that or Top Deck Cider (0.2% alcohol)!!

Also, I wouldn't want to forget Soda Stream - pop so poor you had to make it yourself! My favourite was Giggly Monsters!!

Gram

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey Deuce-MN;

Ginger ale is good stuff.

But the absolute best on a hot August day after say a round of 18 holes is a double of Canada Dry Ginger Beer. MMM. Exquisite thirst quencher!

BTW, GB is non-alcaholic - or at least that sold by Canada Dry is. Again, I'm not even sure it's still on the market - anywhere. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think maybe one can make a home made version. I remember my dad telling me that when he was a kid, when you went visiting in the summer, especially to a farm, your host would step down to the basement and bring up these really cold bottles made out of stone full of Ginger Beer to refresh you.

When my kids were young, I used to make root beer for them from a kit. Actually, it was a "family project". Made me a little nervous though as every once in a while, we would hear a loud explosion from the old coal bin in the basement where we stored the stuff. Once, I found glass shards impaled in the wood. Don't think we ever made it again. Tasted great - not as syrupy as A&W's (although that's still a fav of mine.)

Of course, in Canada, Pepsi is drunk in Quebec while Coke is drunk in English Canada. That's the way it used to be anyways. Me, I like them both.

In my old age, I'm buying the sugar free caffeine free everything free cola, then squeezing half a lime into it. Not as fattening as Corona! And full of those things that go after the free radicals! (Hope the sweetener doesn't give me cancer tho.)

Ah the old days . . . anyone got a ginger beer?

:D :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
yeah gram, we had the pop man, masons round here, 6 bottles for a quid.

and the davenports beer man.

never heard of quattro, but they still sell topdeck, have you tasted tizer lately, awful, not like it used to be.

wen

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I had some Vimto recently and it was foul! Horrendous sugary (sachriney?) stuff.

Quattro came in a white can, with a Q in four coloured squares. It was a fruity affair - a bit like Lilt...

Gram

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I miss that stuff. I can get it in NY but only down at the Brit store in the villlage.
I can get Ribena here but that stuff tastes so sweet now. Yuk.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.