Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to upgrade my old 120GB hard drive to a new 500 GB.
I have done a lot of research on this, and I think I am good to go..... but.....
just wanted to check here and ask around to see if any of the veterans have any advice for me, as I've never done this before.

I want to clone using one of the freebie cloners such as Clonezilla or XXClone (unless someone has a better recommendation?).
I want the entire OS cloned, so there will be nothing to install.

And yes, I am a back up nerd and I've taken all steps to backup my important files.

Any thoughts/opinions/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've used MaxBlast 5, its also free. Worked like a charm and sizes the new drive accordingly. I've used programs in the past that required the new larger drive to have the free space resized with another program like Partition Magic.

I haven't used the programs you noted above.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
I use and recommend acronis for cloning drives. Acronis true image does a lot more than clone drives. You can make an image of your system and if there is ever a need to reinstall or a hard drive failure, you simply restore the image. You can be back up and running in a matter of a few min.

As an example my system drive has approx 35gig of data, os, etc. It takes all of 5min to restore the drive.
It is well worth the $29 that the home version costs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm using SATA hard drives... going from a Seagate to a Maxtor.

I will be doing this project tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Why not use Seagates free cloning software(not a trial), called DiscWizard, all you need to have is at least one Seagate, or one Maxtor(Seagate owns Maxtor) hard drive for the software to function, and you have both. It uses Acronis True Image software. I have used it, very easy, and user friendly. If you are buying a new HD, it may come with a CD with DiscWizard on it. If not, or you just want some info on it, DiscWizard is found here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
If it is a one time deal, then I would just use the drive maker's utility. If you want to backup you system on a regular basis, then I would buy acronis true image.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay..... the clone was successful, however I seem to have a weird side effect.
My old processor was AMD Athlon 3200+ and 2.2 GHZ.
Now it is showing 2500+ and 1.8 GHZ.

I can definitely tell the difference in the slower speed.

Any thoughts? I might need a new/different thread for this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.