Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clinton's fight had an added strain. White House officials acknowledged at the time that he authorized the attack on Sudan and Afghanistan on the same August weekend in 1998 that he confessed his affair with Lewinsky to his wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton. He met with national security and military advisers to plan the attacks between sessions with lawyers to prepare for his grand jury testimony.
(houston chronical from Boston Globe) http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/terror/response/1056573

Do you think that looking back the Lewinsky focus of Congress interferred with Clinton goverence either on a personal level or "wagging the dog" attacks.
Myself I have great admiration for the man who despite all this outside prssure governed as well as he did.

·
Banned
55,854 Posts
Nah. Clinton handled the distractions quite well, IMO.
I didn't like most of his policies, but I disliked the constant partisan bashing from the right even more. What's worse is that the bashing was over issues irrelivant to the Presidency.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
LANMaster said:
I didn't like most of his policies, but I disliked the constant partisan bashing from the right even more. What's worse is that the bashing was over issues irrelivant to the Presidency.
Exactly. He lied about a question that should have never been asked. :up:

·
Moderator (deceased) Gone but never forgotten
47,973 Posts
LANMaster said:
:up:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
LANMaster said:
Heh Mike - do I hear you right :confused:

Am serious :up:

Oldie

·
Banned
1,788 Posts
infidel_kast said:
Exactly. He lied about a question that should have never been asked. :up:
He lied like 99.99% of men would lie if asked the same question.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
He could admit it to his wife but not the country? I think he was playing semantics with the definition "sexual relations"..typical layer. Kind of hard to steer a ship well while juggling a mistress and awife like that one. Clinton was the epitome of what is wrong with this country, no accountability and he believes his own lies.

·
Banned
651 Posts
EdGreene said:
He lied like 99.99% of men would lie if asked the same question.
Unlike 99.99% of men, Clinton did not get thrown in the slammer for lying in front of a grand jury. It seems that the powerful and wealthy are still above the law. He boned Monica knowing it could have disasterous consequences, which, along with the many other scandals, shows a serious lack of judgement. That is not an area where an executive should be found wanting.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
So I guess it is ok to break some laws in office? Time ease up on GWB?

To continue with a bit of devils advocate.... (good points btw cnimbus)

Is anyone here concerned that all this investigatory matters regarding, say, the terrorist attack on 9/11, the leak of a CIA operative name, or some list of people on a committee (Cheney) are "unduly" distracting the current administration from being able to control combat on two fronts?

Somehow I'm thinking not. ;)

While I could care less who Bill boinked, he had a job to do, and if sideline boinking, beside the legal, but definitely ethical issue was too much of a distraction, maybe he shoulda kept the lil soldier locked up?

Quite frankly, if his affair, and his need to "wiggle" out of it with the help of legal aide (you think he woulda used them if it was "no big deal"?) impacted his ability to neutralize a threat to this country that came come Sept. of 01.....then I expect charges be brought first and foremost. Gross negligence? (not just distracted by another SOB, but ignoring the job as a whole) Mind you, I really don't believe this to be applicable, but if it is going to be suggested that his inappropriate behavior forced him to spend more time with a lawyer than the military command at a time of real and immediate (like that slip in? ;) ) threat ...that's his failure, not any "nosy Republican". (and there were plenty! :rolleyes: )

In the end, I really think he did what he could do, given the atmoshpere at the time, excluding this even. Under the gun from Congress, the country, terrorists, and other global issues, most of all his wife!...I'd say he juggled with the best of 'em.

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried to be very specific in my question. The quote I gave demonstrated the trremendous pressure that the Lewinsky matter put on the man who was president. It diverted his time attention and energy from being president.
Although many of you are undoubtably stroner then I am I have always had admiration for his not giving into the pressure completely and still being able to govern.

However you all took the risk that it was worth diverting the presidents attention to nail him. Did any of you worry for a minute that you might be harming the nation? I certainly do not know what would have been different with the witchhunt but I certainly was agast at tieing him up this way.

·
Banned
55,854 Posts
Having said that, Paul, I find it rather curious that you have no problem tying the current President up with partisan BS. :confused:
Like the AWOL claim, the UN-BI-PARTISAN 9/11 Commission, etc.

I agreed that Clinton handled the distraction well, and that he lied about something he should never have been questioned about in the first place.

·
Banned
651 Posts
plschwartz said:
I tried to be very specific in my question. The quote I gave demonstrated the trremendous pressure that the Lewinsky matter put on the man who was president. It diverted his time attention and energy from being president.
Although many of you are undoubtably stroner then I am I have always had admiration for his not giving into the pressure completely and still being able to govern.

However you all took the risk that it was worth diverting the presidents attention to nail him. Did any of you worry for a minute that you might be harming the nation? I certainly do not know what would have been different with the witchhunt but I certainly was agast at tieing him up this way.
The same thing could be said about Nixon and Watergate. Did those who tried to crucify Nixon show any concern at all about harming the nation? After all, the Watergate 'burglars' didn't do anything that bad - only plugging some leaks that threatened national security. Sure they broke into Democratic party offices, but were not there to influence the election results. What they did was insignificant, just like doing a horny, love obsessed intern. Two molehills made into mountains primarily by political sharks who smelled blood. Oh well, at least we finally got some entertainment value for our tax dollars. :D

Insane pressure and work hours is what the Presidency is all about - along with power, wealth and prestige. If Clinton wasn't willing to accept the complete package, he wouldn't have run for President in the first place. The same goes for GWB. Harry S. Truman put it best: "The buck stops here". Truly an appalling notion to many people in today's buck passing, finger pointing society.

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LAN and Cnimbus:
There arre always ongoing questions about goverence which any politician is open to. I do not think that the questions being asked of Bush are in any sense extraordinary.

For the Nixon comparison I think that if Clinton adm.had done another watergate which has to do with the political system I would have welcomed an intense investigation. The sex stuff was tangential to his govererning the country. Remember also that investigations started from jump street with travelgate whitewater and right-wing funding for the forwarding of the sex stuff. Nixon as I remember hazily used the machinery of government in the cover-up
I guess there is some risk-benefit ratio implicit in all of that.

·
Banned
55,854 Posts
Having read all of that, cnimbus, look at the way Ted Kennedy is politicizing the war in Iraq. Isn't that doing the same harm to the country?
9/11 Commission, etc, etc, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts