Tech Support Guy banner
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this yesterday... an example, if someone in a post here gave a link to something and I clicked it (or double clicked it) the hourglass would come up, the page would start to open (but I wouldn't see any loading strip opening on the bottom) and nothing else would happen.

After awhile I'd click STOP.

I found out if I copy the link, and past it in an address bar and hit ENTER it opens okay.

It's still doing this today.

I put Zone Alarm back in last night (I'd taken it out awhile ago because it seemed to be keeping WMP from working right). But the links not opening started before this. I went in and put all the settings in there on MEDIUM an it doesn't affect it. I had Zone Alarm before and not this problem, anyway. So, I don't see it related. I don't remember doing anything I ran Adaware, and there were a lot of reg enteries came up but they said "data miners" (probably because I had Zone Alarm out) and I took them out.

I have WIN 98SE I.E.6

Links I click on that are icons on my desktop (for example) still open okay.

But not in discussion board posts (any boards I go on) and also in my mail. And if someone gives me a link in AOL instand message (I have AIM not AOL for a server)

I've also tried right clicking and OPEN TARGET and this drags and doesn't open.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's a WINDOWS topic.



664 Posts
Tried the good old IE fix in add/remove StarChild?

783 Posts
See these for some ideas:
It appears to refer to OE, but it's relevant all the same.


Also Kleinkramer posted this:
To start with, do some cleaning:
Shut down Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
Go to Control Panel/Internet, and clear your temporary Internet Files.
Now click on Settings/show files, and delete your cookies.
Or, if you're running IE 6.0, delete your cookies on the Privacy tab.
Also clear your History.
Now go to the Advanced tab, and click Restore Defaults.
And go to the Security tab, and click restore defaults there as well.
Now first try setting IE5 as your default browser. Go to IE tools/internet options/programs and turn on the check box for IE to check if it is the default browser. Shut down and restart IE. When it asks to be default browser, say yes.
This is absolutely vital if your hyperlinks are to work.

It's also advisable to run IE Repair, (as mentioned above) if you have it available.
It often repairs these file asssociations:;EN-US;q194177

You could also try registering the concerning dll's:
Go to Start/run, and run the following commands one after the other, eath line followed by 'enter':
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 comcat.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful.


Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows NT
1. On the Start menu, point to Programs, and then click either Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer.
2. Click View, click Folder Options, and then click File Types.
3. In the Registered File Types box, click URL:File Transfer Protocol, and then click Edit.
4. In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit.
5. The Application Used To Perform Action box may display the path to your Web browser as a short file name. Type the path to your Web browser using the full file name. For example, change:
c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe (including the quotation marks).
6. Click OK, and then click Close.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the following registered file types:
o URL:Gopher Protocol
o URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
o URL:Hypertext Transfer protocol with Privacy
8. Click Close.

Hope this helps!

45,855 Posts
This is usually a problem with the version of oleaut32.dll loaded with IE6 that causes this in some Win98 systems.

There are a number of ways to fix it. One is to use the System File Checker to restore a copy of oleaut32.dll from cabinet files. Another is to use the Microsoft mcrepair.exe utility which installs a compatible set of oleaut related files.

Instructions on using SFC:

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Or, a link to mcrepair.exe can be found here:;EN-US;q321915&

2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried IE repair and that didn't do anything.

I clicked on the link to the responses here that came in my email and it just stalled on and on and nothing happened till I copy/pasted the link in the address bar.

Sounds like it's something others have heard of and experienced-not just one of my crazy problems that seems to be only me :)

I don't have a system restore cd for this, only the HP one that came with it, and seems to be all or nothing. I do have a WIN 98 (not SE) install cd that seems to have all files on it.

I'm printing everyone out to try when I get a chance.

It's not really a major big deal problem, but I like to learn to fix things as they come up.

~ Carrie

45,855 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Not open for further replies.