Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to xp pro from xp home and the install messed up the computer. I am trying to do a clean install, however it will not let mw. It keeps installing over the old. Can someone help!!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Best way is to format the drive and install XP Pro if you don't need to keep all your old files.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know how to go about formatting the h/drive. I went to bootdisk.com the download a boot disk however it did not work. A short blow by blow description would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
To create the boot disk you need to download a program and then run it to create the boot disk/s,

Not download a program directly to the floppy.

I am not familiar with the xp upgrade disk, however you will need to ensure that your cdrom is set as the first boot device in your bios. To enter your bios,you will need to hit the f1 key or press the del key while booting. (Watch your screen while booting and you should see a message to press a certain key to enter set up)

Go into the boot sequence and ensure your cdrom is set as first device. exit saving your changes.

Insert the xp upgrade cd into the drive and reboot the computer, you should get an option to press anykey to boot from cd.

Follow the prompts and you should get an option to format the drive ntfs or fat 32, select whichever you desire and you should be on your way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dagger 1:

Adjust your setup to boot from the CD, put your XP Pro disc into the tray, shut your PC down & restart. Follow the instruction not to upgrade, but to do a clean install (reformat). You'll be prompted to insert your XP home disc into the tray (just to prove that it's a legitimate upgrade), but in essence, you'll wind up with just the XP Pro installed. It should work out well.

pjblevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.