Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scoured the internet as best as I can for some sort of solution and have tried several, and I'm starting to think I should completely restore my computer. Before anyone decides to say "update your drivers/does your computer meet the requirements", yes I attempted updating both my sound and graphics driver, and my DirectX is at the latest version. The odd thing about the sound problem is that my sound is fine for other games that use DirectX, such as Rome: Total War and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. I have contacted 2k Games Support twice, and I have yet to resolve the problem (I plan on calling again soon). I have also posted about this in the Civilization Fanatics Technical Support Forum (http://civfanatics.com)

The problem is when I load up Civilization IV, I receive an error titled "Invalid Device" stating the following:
You have selected an unusable voice playback device. Voice playback disabled.
And of course as you can assume, I have no sound in my game, though everything else is running just fine. Though the strange part is, is that I've had Civ IV installed before, with working sound, though I was using a different copy, which I uninstalled completely a long time ago. I now have 1.61 (the latest) Civ IV from direct2drive.

So I attempted uninstalling and re-installing Civ IV, and I noticed that I recieve this error message:
Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product Sid Meier's Civilization 4. The Windows Installer cannot continue.
And yet once I would click the 'OK' button, I still get to the 'Finish' button and all seems fine. I repeated this several times to no avail, then finally uninstalled and updated my drivers, and re-installed and didn't encounter this problem. But lo and behold, the sound playback error remains, I tried playing with the games sound settings, and nothing worked unfortunately. Oh and yes, my computer was not on mute. I also thought perhaps it could be the .exe setup file was corrupt and re-downloaded and installed, but was unsucessful in making it work.

I am attatching my DxDiag, if that would be of any help. See my profile for my computer specs. Thanks in advance for any help or useful advice.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.