Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My chkdsk scan has been seemingly frozen here for hours upon end. This is a Vista machine. From what logs I have seen, the scan seems to be near its end. Should I leave the scan running overnight, or would it be safe to shut the machine off at this point?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply! I left the frozen scan running overnight to see if the issue would resolve itself, unfortunately it did not. It's stuck as it always has been. I'm ready to go about rebooting the machine and hoping the scan will complete the second time around, but I'm curious as to the whether not shutting down a scan such as this before its complete may damage the drive further than it already is.
In the interest of saving my data, would it be wise for me to reboot the machine now or leave the scan (as it is seen in my first post) running for another day or so?

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Can you get into Safe Mode and setup a check disk with the "R" switch

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

When in Safe Mode

Try this click Start>>Run type cmd click Ok.

In the Command Prompt type chkdsk /r click Enter

Ther is a space between k and /r

Or Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>Command Prompt

You will be asked if you want a check disk to run on next startup click Y and then press Enter

Restart your PC

It will run in 5 sections please do not interrupt it let it finish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh dear, I seem to be unable to run chkdsk at all now.
My initial chkdsk scan was run upon Vista recognizing that the drive I had just plugged in was somewhat corrupted (a fact I well know.) Upon starting up the computer after plugging the drive in the scan automatically ran. Starting up the computer now with the drive in place does nothing.
I shut down the computer and followed Megabite's instructions (making sure to run cmd with administrative privileges, as I'm running Vista). However, upon typing in chkdsk /r and hitting enter, a message came up telling me I can't run the scan because chkdsk cannot "open volume for direct access."
This is a fresh install of Vista I'm running, with maybe 3 programs installed. I cannot seem to find the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.