Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, im changing my processor but i need a bit of help!

currently my processor is a:-

socket 478
CPU Speed : 2.66GHz
Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 cache speed: 512kb

this is what i am planning to change to:

socket 478 (obviously :) )
cpu speed: 3.20GHz
Bus Speed: 800Mhz
L2 cache speed 1MB

however, this is what i am worried about.. ive read that To obtain the FSB of your Processor, a compatible motherboard that can support the Bus speed must be used and this is what it says in my mainboard manual:-

"supports socket 478 for P4/celeron processors with 400/533MHz"
AND
"Core Frequency from 1.8GHZ to 2.8GHz and up"

for quote number 1.. does it mean i wont be able to get a bus speed of 800MHz as my motherboard can only support up to 533MHz ?
for quote number 2.. will i be able to get 3.2GHz from this new processor?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think you just answered your own question lol. yeah your motherboard will support fsb up to 533 and 2.8Ghz
Just find a different cpu that is 533 mhz fsb and 2.8 ghz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks.. just saved me £40 lol

im thinking of gettin a new motherboard, i mean socket 478 is really outdated by todays standards, along with my ddr 333 ram, non-PCI-E port

lol thanks again mate

·
Super Moderator
46,573 Posts
You have your answer. You need a board that supports 800fsb. Since socket 478 boards are pretty scarce now, I would opt for a new board, cpu,memory, etc. The only boards I found on newegg for socket 478 are via chipset boards; NOT what I would use for an intel build.

Note you will most likely need a new pw supply as well since modern systems use 24pin and not the older 20pin you probably have now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crjdriver said:
You have your answer. You need a board that supports 800fsb. Since socket 478 boards are pretty scarce now, I would opt for a new board, cpu,memory, etc. The only boards I found on newegg for socket 478 are via chipset boards; NOT what I would use for an intel build.

Note you will most likely need a new pw supply as well since modern systems use 24pin and not the older 20pin you probably have now.
aye this is true aswell.. it wouldnt be economically wise to change all the parts.. might aswell get a new computer, or a laptop (will need it for uni soon so i might aswell save up)

btw this comp is 5 years old, reason why im asking about a processor change is that its gotten really slow nowadays (maybe cuz of nortons = sys resources hog)

·
Super Moderator
46,573 Posts
Anything by norton/symantec is about the worst thing you can install on your system. There are much better apps than norton and many of them are free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.