Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... I was trying to save a file on a floppy (A) and I chose Word Pad as a way to open that file. Now, when I open the file, all I get is a bunch of nonsensical words and numbers. Is there any way I can change the files from Word Pad to something else that I can use that I will be able to understand? (I hope this makes sense.)
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Open the folder containing the file you want to change on your desktop. If you right-click on the file, you should get a menu with an option about halfway down to 'Open With', which in turn leads to a drop down menu, at the bottom of which is the option 'Choose Program'. Click on this, and a range of programs should appear from which you can select, or alternatively you can browse to the program you wish to use to open the file.

Hope this helps, and hope I've understood your question correctly! If not, please bear with me, I'm new here :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. My OS is win98se. The files that I want to change are presently on my desktop and their icons show that they are in Word Pad. When I right-click on the icons, I don't get the options that you talk about...but I did get them originally before I chose Word Pad.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...that works!! I get the options now, but what should I choose so that read the data in that file???

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a tax file... the files don't have any extensions after I did my change, but before that, it would have been .gtx
With further investigation, I think that .tax is also a possibilty.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Tax files? As in, they are used/created by a "Tax program"?

In which case, in the browse Window of the Open With, look for and select the Tax Program.

BTW: To see all extensions, run Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View and UNselect "Hide file extensions for known file types:. And, while you are there, select "Show All Files".

Now, for a quick rehash in case we have missed the boat.

It sounds like you did a save FROM your Tax program, except used an option to save the file as a Word file. (which would have a DOC extension, and would not be shown because of the above option). If this is true, then selecting the file and choosing another program won't help, because the file is STILL in a WordPad "format", not a Tax Program format.
So, in order to get it back to a GTX file, you will need to repeat what you did to begin with, except NOT choose the Word option.

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they were created by a tax program. I think I'm going to give up with this because I'm getting into something out of my depth. Thanks for your effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.