Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed XP on a new build computer my hard drive installed as Drive I:.
I think it is because I had a USB hub connected.
Is it possible to to change this drive to drive C:?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Nope, you can't change the drive letter of the running O/S. You need to install XP onto C: from the start.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
"I think it is because I had a USB hub connected."

Yes XP does things like that. You would have to do a reinstall with the hub or anything else non essential disconnected (it was quite a while ago but for me the problem was a Zip drive).

·
Super Moderator
46,541 Posts
While it is technically possible to change a system drive letter, I do not recommend doing so. Here is why; when an app is installed, it installs files to its own folder AND to the windows and or windows\system32 folder. If you change the path from I:\windows to C:\windows it will cause problems. In addition it is an involved process to do this. Here are the instructions for changing a system drive. Again I do not recommend doing this. Since all apps would need to be reinstalled anyway, it is just easier to reinstall windows then reinstall the apps.

Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
Log on as an Administrator.
Start Regedt32.exe.
Go to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Click MountedDevices.
On the Security menu, click Permissions.
Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
Restart the computer.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I choose not to present this option, since the chance of success is not all that good. All you have to do is miss one detail, and you'll spend more time debugging than you would doing a proper install. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
i agree with JohnWill, i did this once when i was installing windows xp onto a couple dells i setting up to sale, i installed windows not looking at it fully but it installed as E instead of C when i went to install the drivers it told me C:\ couldnt be found, i changed the system drive letter and had nothing but problems therefore after, i quickly wiped the hdd clean and did a fresh install and that time made sure the drive letter was c.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
While that may appear to work, it's a kludge that will surely bite you in the butt at some time in the future. There really is no substitute for doing the job right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.