Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, dunno if this is in right category, but I sure could use some help...

I was trying to help a friend reinstall Win98 (because it is totally ****ed up and needs to be swiped). Problem is when I boot on a DOS-floppy I can't use the CD reader/writer (a PHILIPS PCRW4816K).

* I can't boot from CD (it is supported by the BIOS). I tried another bootable CD also (Win95) and it wouldn't boot from that either...

* The system will find and recognize CD when booting. No problems.

* When I use a boot-floppy I can't get it to "find" the CD. I tried a few different DOS-disks (old stuff I had lying around) and most of them would result in total crap. But one of them resulted in at least "mounting" the CD to P:. I seems like it uses the ATPI(?) driver. When I check out the CD it will show everything ok, but I can't access files or directories that have lowercase letters in the name (like Install.exe or Setup.exe)... Aaarrrgh!!! Seems like I need some better support for FS with not only "eight uppercase letters" filenames or something...

So I guess what I need is a DOS driver that will work for this CDROM and instructions in how to set that up... I tried to find it on the internet, but no luck at all...
Any ideas?

I have also a backup plan (totally desperate):
* Get some linux-boot floppys (minimal system) that hopefully will get the CDROM going.
* If necessary install linux on HD and keeping C: (resized/smaller). Might need a partition magic boot-floppy for this...
* Mount the FAT partition and the Win98 CD under linux. Swipe C: from old **** and copy the CD to a temprary directory on C:
* Boot from DOS-floppy and install Win 98 from the temporary directory

This will only work if linux will get CDROM going (and everything else is working smoothly, fat chans...).

As you can see, I'm pretty desperate! It feels like this should be soooo easy!!! :(

Anyway. ALL input is welcome. I'm stumped.
/Magnus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah well the generic drivers don't work... Aint that the ATAPI driver btw?

At least the MSCDEX.EXE is on many of the disks, and i believe at least a few were formated with C:> FORMAT A: /s and then C:>SYS A:

I have to have the drivers on floppy to do what you write, right? And then boot from C: ?

Then I should get CD to work when booting from A:

If I do what you say, will it then work no matter what (or else something is broken in hardware)? The problem is that I can't get over there so many times, and I can't get to the Internet from there, since nothing works...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't get that.

If understand it correctly this is what to do:
*Boot from DOS-floppy
*Format the c: drive (with the /s flag)
*After formatting the c: drive I will for some reason have loaded drivers so that cdrom is working?

+Where would the drivers come from (floppy or from old win98 c: partition)?
+Why would that work if I can't get get the cdrom to work when trying to load drivers from floppy?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing your way. I just don't see how it's different... If you know and have the time, feel free to explain it on a lower level (what DOS really are doing)...

Gonna try to get my pal to try that stuff tomorrow...

thx
/Magnus

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
the /s creates it's own tempory drive to load to,that is why your cd letter drops one letter.
if you have formatted there is no old 98 to get it from

·
Registered
158 Posts
dai said:
normal procedure
A:format c /s
note the letter if gives to the cdrom this is usually E then
A:/E
E:/ setup
NO NO NO!! That will ONLY BOOT TO DOS, NOT INITIALIZE THE CDROM! You need to, in Windows 98, open Add/Remove Programs and go to the rightmost tab, and create a Startup Disk. This will init the CDROM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.