Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I try to access my CD-ROM drive I get an error message, “Drive is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning properly.”
After checking some previous threads I followed some of the suggestions mentioned. I removed the CD-ROM from device manager and rebooted even though under properties it said it was functioning properly. The driver was reinstalled but it still did not work. I tried to install an updated driver for the CD-ROM but I got a message saying, “MSCDEX.EXE does not exist in C:\ DOS. Contact your operation system supplier.” Also while I was in device manager there was an “!” next to the CD-ROM controller line but when I removed that, it never showed up again when I rebooted. So there is no CD-ROM controller installed. I’m guessing I shouldn’t have removed that.

I checked the cables internally. All were attached securely. I tried a new cable still with no luck.

I checked the BIOS. This is what it said:
Primary IDE Master ST32122A
Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
Secondary IDE Master CD-ROM CDU311
Secondary IDE Slave Not Installed
I have no idea if that means anything significant to the problem.

Also I am running Windows 95b. Anything anyone can suggest?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Every time I try to access my CD-ROM drive I get an error message, “Drive is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning properly.”
After checking some previous threads I followed some of the suggestions mentioned. I removed the CD-ROM from device manager and rebooted even though under properties it said it was functioning properly. The driver was reinstalled but it still did not work. I tried to install an updated driver for the CD-ROM but I got a message saying, “MSCDEX.EXE does not exist in C:\ DOS. Contact your operation system supplier.” Also while I was in device manager there was an “!” next to the CD-ROM controller line but when I removed that, it never showed up again when I rebooted. So there is no CD-ROM controller installed. I’m guessing I shouldn’t have removed that.

I checked the cables internally. All were attached securely. I tried a new cable still with no luck.

I checked the BIOS. This is what it said:
Primary IDE Master ST32122A
Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
Secondary IDE Master CD-ROM CDU311
Secondary IDE Slave Not Installed
I have no idea if that means anything significant to the problem.

Also I am running Windows 95b. Anything anyone can suggest?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Hi,

CD-Rom problems are the worst because it can be so many things.

One thing you can try is go into Device Manager and remove the current CD-Rom listing if it's there. Then shut down your computer and hook up your drive as a slave to the Primary IDE Master. Make sure to set the jumpers on the drive as a slave, it should tell you right on the top or in the manual how to do that.

When you turn it on it may ask you to save the new bios settings, at least it does with my IBM. After doing that let Windows boot up and see if the drive is recognized in the Device Manager.

It's better to have the CD-Rom on the Secondary IDE as a master but this is just a way of troubleshooting to see if that could be the problem. It's very possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do I hook up the drive as a slave to the Primary IDE Master. What goes where? and explain it in "computer dummy" terms because Ive never done it before. thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'll explain that but first try this, it's a little easier and might get your CD-Rom properly recognized: go in the Device Manager if there's anything listed for your drive delete it. Turn your computer off and disconnect the cable from the drive. Turn it back on and save the bios settings when it asks you. If it doesn't ask you may have to go into the bios and do it manually. Let the computer boot back up then shut it down again, reconnect the drive, save the bios settings and boot up. See if the drive is recognized again in the Device Manager.

·
Registered
419 Posts
possibility the cd-rom is dead:(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok Im going to try that now, but does it matter that there is no cd rom controller showing in device manager ( because I removed it) do I need to download something to replace it?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
By unhooking and rehooking the cable hopefully Windows will once again recognize your drive in Device Manager. Normally when you shut it down and reboot Windows will once again pick it up but since it's not doing that this is one possible solution. I've had to do it myself a few times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im beginning to think so because nothing is helping.
should there be a cd rom controller showing in device manager as well as a cd rom? the cd rom shows up even after I disconnect it and reconnect it but no cd rom controller...should there be one? if so how do I replace it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did that and it does recognize the cd-rom...under cd-rom...but there is no cd-rom controller shown. There used to be one and it had a yellow ! beside it. but I removed it and it never came back, but the cd rom did...so is the cd rom controller something that the system is supposed to automatically detect along with the cd rom or did I remove something that I shouldnt have and now I need to replace it somehow?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Was the CD-Rom controller that you removed inside the Hard Disk Controllers? You can try booting up in Safe mode then remove all entries in Hard Disk Controllers in Device Manager. Reboot normally and Windows 95 will detect all components and reinstall them.

Before doing that please go to your Device Manager and under Hard Disk Controllers let me know if it says Intel PII on the Properties tab of Intel PCI Bus MasterIDE Controller.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
should there be a cd rom controller showing in device manager as well as a cd rom?
It's showing up in the BIOS as being on the secondary IDE controller, are you saying that the secondary IDE controller is missing from device manager ?

If this is what you are saying, then yes there should be a controller there...

Also copy and paste the contents of the Autoexec.bat, and the Config.sys files, they are located in the C:\, and open them with Notepad...

·
Registered
46,353 Posts
Please DO NOT post duplicates.

I have meged your two threads.

Continue this in this thread until it is resolved please.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Jedi_Master,

Yeah I was confused too on CD-Rom controller, that's why I suggested removing all entries under Hard Disk Controller in Device Manager and let Windows pick them up again. Maybe the Secondary IDE Controller will return.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
under hard disk controller there is a secondary IDE controller showing....when I originally checked the device manager there was a separate listing under cd rom controller...I dont remember what it was called but I removed it and it never came back...

the ribbon cable from the drive was connected to the motherboard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
autoexec.bat saysC:\WINDOWS\AZTPNP.EXE /A:ON /IDE:OFF
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /M:12 /V
REM C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /M:12 /V
REM C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /M:12 /V

c:\windows\net start
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET PROMPT=$P$G
SET WINPMT=[Windows 95] $P$G
GOTO %CONFIG%

:WIN95
CLS
ECHO Windows is now starting...
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
GOTO COMMON

:MSDOS
REM BELOW LINE COMMENTED OUT BY MICROSOFT INTELLIPOINT MOUSE SETUP
REM LH C:\MSINPUT\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
REM IF %CDROM%.==TRUE. LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD0001 /E /L:Q /M:2GOTO COMMON
GOTO COMMON

:COMMON

config.sys says

[MENU]
MenuItem=WIN95,Load Microsoft Windows 95 (Default)
MenuItem=MSDOS,Start system in MS-DOS compatibility mode.
MenuDefault=WIN95,0

[WIN95]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

[MSDOS]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
SET CDROM=TRUE

[COMMON]
Break On
BuffersHigh=20,0
DOS=High,UMB