Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a compaq desktop running xp pro home edition. my cd rom has stopped recognizing the cds. i have tried another cd rom in it..... that i know for sure works but....still wont recognize it.

it shows up in my control panel\systems and even shows the name of the cd rom. but when i put in a cd it tells me to insert a disc. have reinstalled newer driver but does not work.

could this be from some kind of virus or something

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Did you uninstall the drive from Device Manager and reboot?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it shows in device manager with no yellow icon and yes i have uninstalled and reinstalled. i wonder if i do a full clean refomat on the hard drive and completely reinstall windows....if that would help?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
A reformat will probably cure it, have you tried a System Restore to before the issue surfaced?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you can't boot from the CD-ROM, you very likely have a hardware problem, not a software one. Have you tried booting from the CD-ROM?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cd rom works have tried it in another computer. NO CD ROM i put in this computer will work. i have reinstalled and uninstalled till i am blue in the face. i have looked at it in the device manager and it shows up with NO yellow check marks. i am so frustrated here. i have checked cables and jumpers nothing will gt this darn thing to work. everytime i put in a cd it tells me to insert a disk when i try to open it. how can i do a clean reformat if my computer will not recognize my windows xp cd at startup?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If it shows up as working in device manager, I'm having a hard time believing it won't boot a bootable CD when you reboot! You're specified that the drive itself is definitely good by testing, right? Did you set the BIOS to boot from the CD before the hard disk?

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a last resort, before you give up entirely, you can try to clean the lens with a kit sold in all the computer stores. Just be sure to buy one that uses a soft brush on the cleaning cd.

It's POSSIBLE the lens is just dirty and needs a cleaning. It's also possible the drive it shot.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
JohnWill said:
If it shows up as working in device manager, I'm having a hard time believing it won't boot a bootable CD when you reboot! You're specified that the drive itself is definitely good by testing, right? Did you set the BIOS to boot from the CD before the hard disk?
Maybe the drive is dead? A lot of words here. Reseat cable, change cable then buy a new drive. Not many real alternatives.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Rich, he tried the drive in another system, and it's good. And, it's showing up in Device Manager with no errors. A remote possibility is the cable, but the drive has been tested. :)

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
JohnWill said:
Rich, he tried the drive in another system, and it's good. And, it's showing up in Device Manager with no errors. A remote possibility is the cable, but the drive has been tested. :)
Yeah now I see that, well then it is either the cable. controller or the motherboard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.