Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two CD drives installed, E a CDRW and F a standard CDROM. Both have been working correctly for well over a year. For no apparent reason the F drive has ceased to function. The drive is recognised by my computer and is shewn as operational in device manager. However, when I attempt to use the drive there is an error message that no media is inserted.
I have done the following:
1. run diagnostic programmes. These do not work as "there is no media inserted".
2. Reinstalled the driver.
3. Removed the drive from device manager and rebooted.
4. Physically removed the drive from the computer, rebooted and the reinstalled.
None of these actions has made any difference.
The only clue comes from sending the drive to Norton Anti Virus. Here the error message changes to "drive locked by a utility, try again later" Can anyone suggest how to unlock the drive?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey patrick harvey

Have you installed any new software lately? Also just needs some more specs: OS, type of CDROM.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To: hippy_420

Many thanks for your response. The informationyou requested:
a. OS Windows98
b. F drive LG CDROM CRD 8160B
c. Software. I am always trying new things. Recently installed are, Symantec Personal Firewall, now uninstalled, ZoneAlarm, in use, CompanionLink, Web Inspector, Power Up 98 and SoundProbe 2. I use the CDROM mainly as the source when copying CDs. This is done irregularly, so I can't associate the time of failure with the installation of any particular programme.
In case it is relevant my full drive setup is, A standard FD, C HD eide pri mstr, D HD eide pri slv, E LG CD-R/RW eide sec mstr, F as above eide sec slv, G ext HD on parallel and H ext ZIP also parallel. This arrangement has been working happily for a long time.
Regards
Patrick Harvey

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey patrick harvey
Thanks for the fast response...try this site...I do realize that your system worked smoothly before but just try some the suggestions if you have not already....just to see if they work....

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/cd/recog_Driver.htm

Thanks,
P.S. I'm going to work with my co-workers around me to see if they have ran into anything like this before....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To: Hippy_420

Thanks for the intro to the site. I have worked through some of the suggestions but some are beyond my experience and I do not want to crash my whole sustem through ignorance. That site seems to be concerned with non recognition and I am reasonably certain that this is not the problem. The drive is live and responds to eject from the drop down menu. I have checked all jumpers and changed all the cables. There is exactly the same response running under DOS as under Windows. When I put a CD in, the read light flashes once and then no more. The hard disk light then flashes on and off for two to three minutes as though it is hunting. I suspect that the problem lies somewhere on the C drive, but I have no idea how to proceed.

regards
Patrick Harvey.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi Patrick, just because the drive responds to opening and closing doesn't mean that there isn't a physical problem with the drive itself or the lens that physically "see" the cds.....

I would suggest replacing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.