Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prologue: I went through two pages of search and didn't see anything quite like this. I apologize now if I missed it... :D

Problem: My CD/DVD RW (HP writer) will not recogize a CD-R that only has MP3s on it. Also some music CDs purchased in retail outlets aren't recoginized either. My laptop recognizes the CD's fine and I'm copying these MP3s to a portable HD as I type.

This really is starting to feel like a conspiracy so we can't move our MP3s around...:mad:

Background:I recently rebuilt my system with win XP (sp2) So all drivers are up to date.
I lost a HD which led to this and this drive had a great deal of music MP3s ripped from CD's that either I own or my wife own. Now I have been rebuilding the MP3 lists but it is tedius so...
I'm using the Itunes software to do the ripping in case you care...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would think that this symptom would happen on many of the CDs and not just CDs that have MP3s on them as their only files. Since I've noticed this problem I've loaded Adobe creative suite (no read errors) and I've burned 4-5 CD/DVDs with files (photos and PDFs) - no problems there also.
I did email HP about it but I'm not hopeful for resolution there..

So I'll reiterate... It's only CDs (CD+rR or CD-R) that only have mp3s on them and the player will not recognize them disk. Also if they are in file folders the disk is ignored. The XP (home) has SP2 with most current update. My laptop with it's older version of XP (SP2) reads the same disks fine...

I assume no one has run into this phenomenon. I still think it's a conspiracy to keep people from trading music.. And this would make sense.. Gates would be the hero of the music industry if he did that and if we hated him for it... What would he care???

Well I'm off the soap box and we'll see if anyone comes up with any other solutions...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Vista1959 said:
I still think it's a conspiracy to keep people from trading music.. And this would make sense.. Gates would be the hero of the music industry if he did that and if we hated him for it... What would he care???

Well I'm off the soap box and we'll see if anyone comes up with any other solutions...
Exactly. What would he care??? Why don't you blame the people who would care. If it is copy protection at work, that is the music, not the computer. Do a little research on Mr Bill Gates. Yes, he has made a fortune, but I don't think anyone else in his shoes has been so generous. Even the library in a little town like Maynooth Ontario Canada benefits from his generosity as some computers were donated there from him. Millions upon millions into the states for education. Hard to find this info as most of it is not made public by him. Actually, he tries to hide this. You could always buy a mac.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
There is not a way that I'm aware of to make any commercial burner suddenly not recognize MP3 files. They're just data files to the CD or DVD drive. I'd be more inclined to believe your burner is either dirty or dying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry that this supposition has set you off since thats not my intention. So far this 2 -3week old HP 840x DVD/CD writer has performed great.. Except when I put in a cd with MP3s on it. Then it doesn't exist and is not reconized. (there is nothing in the drive) If it did it to a good share of all disks no matter what type I would be hammering at the doors of HP. But to be so selective so as to ONLY not recognize these 4-5 CDs then I'm at a loss to explain it.
Obviously I'm the only one for this to happen to so maybe it's a system problem or maybe the hardware is dirty or something. If it starts to not read or write to regular DVD'CDs I'll come back and let you know.. Right now I'm using it to rip (again) my collection of CDs 1-200 of them.. On another note, I used my laptop to read the mp3 cds and copied them to an external HD and the system once this drive was attached to the deaktop had no problem adding them to my library... Anyway thats it we'll call it closed!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
That helps you narrow down the source of the problem then. Look for a firmware update.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd be looking at media compatibility issues in this case. More details always help narrow down a problem. :)

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
I'm using the Itunes software to do the ripping in case you care...?
That would be the last app I would use. If you are ripping your own stuff to mp3 use one of the freeware apps that uses the LAME encoder. LAME is simply the best, having surpassed all others.

I would suggest CDex, which comes LAME ready. The -alt -preset -standard setting ( VBR 128 -320 kb/s, joint stereo plus a few more tweaks) will give you excellent results. I still use version 1.51, haven't tried the latest release.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/index.html

A quote concerning iTunes mp3 encoder:

There has been some criticism of the quality of Apple's MP3 encoder, with regards to variable bit rate encoding. In a double-blind public listening test of six MP3 encoders encoding at 128 kbit/s, conducted by Roberto Amorim, the iTunes MP3 VBR encoder came last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.