Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Whenever I put a CD into my CD-R drive which is drive D or into my CD-RW drive (drive E), they will not read the CD. I checked device manager and it shows that both of my drives are functioning properly and I tried so many CDs but none of them were read by either drive. I tried uninstalling the drives and then "scan for new hardware" it found the drives but the same problem persists.

Please help and thank you.

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
Try Jownwill's fix for misbehaving drives:

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
CD burning software is a common cause of this problem. But since you aren't using that then we will have to think of something else. In Device Manager try uninstalling the drives and then reboot and let Windows reinstall them. Also in Device Manager check under IDE controllers to make sure the controller for the connector that the drives is hooked up to is functioning. Try a new cable to the drives. Physically disconnect the drives and then hook up only one at a time observing the proper jumper settings (if they are the same cable).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.