Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days, my cd drive is not being reconized on the "my system". I go to my system and I see the floppy disic drive, but I donot see the cd rom drive. I have roxio software and I cannot burn any cd or put any cd in the drive. I have taken the drive out and put back in, and it worked for a day. What is erasing the cd rom information in the system? I have windows xp.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Typically a dissappearing CD-ROm drive means the drive electronics is on its way out, usually not a software issue.
(your cd-rom information isn't erasing, your cd-rom is just not initiallizing when you turn your system on)

But every once and a while its something else.

A few inexpensive / free things you might try are

1. Using the drive as a slave on a different cable
/ Using the drive as a master on its own cable
(depending on your situation)

2. Trying a new IDE cable

3. Trying a different power plug on the inside (some older machines have loose PSU connectors)

More than likely you will end up needing a new drive in the future, but you might luck out and it may be something as simple as needing a new cable, you never know.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Eddie,
Have you also ran a virus check? We just had a machine brought in the shop today that was so full of infected files, the cd-rom had disappeared. Had to do a format and re-install on it, but the cd-rom was once again visible and usable.
Just a thought. :)
JustMe2

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.