Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a pic of my Flash Memory Card Reader. the way this is hooked up in my pc is that one cable hooks up to the Front Panel USB Connector on the motherboard. an the other cable is hooked to my 2 front usb plugs. so the front usb hubs run threw the card reader. why gateway has it this way im not sure.. what i have noticed lately is when i use the card reader to transfer pics from a memory card. to my pc. the download become slow. but if i keep the memory card in the camera, and use the usb cable on the front usb ports. to transfer the pics. it transfer much faster.. could this be a sign that the reader is going bad? i went to gateway to try to find a updated driver. but the ones they have are older then my computer is. would there be any place to get newer drivers for this?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You shouldn't need drivers for that unit, it's a standard USB mass storage device. I've used a ton of different model USB readers, both internal and external, none required drivers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
it is hooked up that way to pass through usb to the front panel.
it takes up a usb connection from you motherboard which
frequently be used to connect to the front panel.

the electronics of the readers could just be different.
the camera being a quality product may just do that
function better.

the reader in the computer may just be a less
quality product.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The reader may simply be a USB 1.1 reader, and it would be a lost slower than a full speed connection on USB 2.0.

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Google says that exact model has:

* Maximum Write Speed Up to 1.5 MBps (MegaBytes per second)
* Maximum Read Speed Up to 1.5 MBps (MegaBytes per second)

Which means that it is standard USB 1.1 (8 x 1.5 = 12 Mbits per second)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Wilson: If the front USB ports are USB2, can you connect the card reader to the port on the mobo where the front USB's are connected?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
There you go, if it's USB 1.1, it's small wonder than any reasonably modern interface beats it in speed. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.