Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ok.. i need some help. I'm going to build my own car PC. I know i need a couple things, like a computer (going to buy an old labtop off ebay or something). I also know i need a screen, i'm going to find a touch screen for my dash off ebay also. What i don't know is how the screen would connect to the computer and how that touch screen function would work? Has anyone ever built/setup one of these things? How much money as i looking at i was thinking like 600 for a pretty good one, 200$ for labtop 150$ for upgrades to it, 200$ for the screen and maybe some other money for other stuff. How hard is it to do? Also i want to hook a GPS up to it, how hard would all this be? (not sure if this is the right forum, so mods please move if its not, thanks) Thanks. -cnelson. :)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Hardware and software is already available, such that you can plug your laptop (labtop?) into your aldl under the steering wheel. It tells everything the car has got goin' on, and allows for simple modifications (air/fuel mix, spark timing, etc).

Building your own from scratch, such as many higher-end vehicles have, might be a tall task...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the spelling, it was late last night. i met laptop. But what i'm talking about more is not a engine manigment system. Take a look at what this guy did; http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43654 Thats what i'm hoping do.. If anyone could help me understand how it works, that'd be great. Thanks. -cnelson. :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
so now youre going to be playing on the computer, talking on the cell phone while munching on a big mac, what state/city do you drive in so I can make sure I'm never driving there.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in jersey. Was that post really necessary? And by the way. My car isn't street legal in any of the 50 states. Its a show car. Well one in the making. It was a project me and my friend started over a year ago and did all the engine/exteror work outself except the paint. Now its time to do the interor and i don't know much about setting up a car computer. So thats why i asked here to get help, not to get post's like your's. -cnelson.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here whats i know about that guys setup. He has an old laptop under the seat, he ran cables to the touch the screen to display the picture on the screen. (i have no idea how to do this) Hes also running some kind of frontend software made for carcomputers its just a simple music player/dvd/gps viewer. I don't know how to setup the laptop to work with a screen in my dashboard. I also don't know much about making the computer turn on with the car? I thought maybe connect a power cable to the battery then taking apart the laptop and just connect it to the postive line, so when the car comes on so does the laptop. I also think i would probably need some kind of amp? I asked here because i always got good help with lots of other stuff here so maybe someone could help? Thanks. -cnelson. :)

·
Banned
27,339 Posts
brite750 said:
so now youre going to be playing on the computer, talking on the cell phone while munching on a big mac, what state/city do you drive in so I can make sure I'm never driving there.
Funny

Not sure why it offended

Until it was explained about being a show car I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
cnelson04 said:
I live in jersey. Was that post really necessary? And by the way. My car isn't street legal in any of the 50 states. Its a show car. Well one in the making. It was a project me and my friend started over a year ago and did all the engine/exteror work outself except the paint. Now its time to do the interor and i don't know much about setting up a car computer. So thats why i asked here to get help, not to get post's like your's. -cnelson.
hey comon I thought you Jersey boys (or gals) had a sense of humor, I was in quick reply mode so didnt have smilies available, here ya go
:D :eek: :D ;)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
wacor said:
Funny

Not sure why it offended

Until it was explained about being a show car I was thinking the same thing.
(Not that I'd be driving in NJ anyway).......oh crap:eek: , did I say that out loud:D

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll check it out. Thanks. I wasn't really offeneded, just looking to try to get some help on how to slove this, i knew it was just a joke. Sorry for the harsh responisve. Thanks. -cnelson. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at mp3car.com but the tutorial they have for the carPC isn't really designed for someone who doesn't know anything about them. Its wrriten with more of an understanding that you know how to wier up screens and stuff.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
cnelson04 said:
I'll check it out. Thanks. I wasn't really offeneded, just looking to try to get some help on how to slove this, i knew it was just a joke. Sorry for the harsh responisve. Thanks. -cnelson. :)
no problem;) unusual problem, dont get much request for that kind of hardware

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Ignoring the type of car this kit was intended for, this is the type of gear you appear to need.
http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DSH-002

It has a VGA connector and a USB connector for video and touch screen ability.

You can't just "feed 12v to the laptop" as they commonly require 19v input, an inverter - converter would be required.

However you do it, this will be a relaitively expensive project however.

·
Registered
332 Posts
cnelson, I doubt many of these guys have tried anything like that...they can't tell ya how much it will cost. But that guy who did it on the forum you linked to said you can get a real carputer done right for $600...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.