Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the Windows Update. It will not let me enable the automatic updates.

I went to the update site and it went as far as the choose which updates to install Custom or High Priority, if you click either one it just gives you their error screen which is of no use.

The system needs to go through its updates as it is still running SP2.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Visit my homepage and click on Fix Windows Update.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
BTW, you don't need SP3, and I highly recommend NOT installing the service pack.

SP3 is just a collection of all previous updates, plus something else that seems to screw up a lot of machines, including my last one. I leave Windows Update OFF, and choose "custom" and install all critical updates. All other updates are optional and if it isn't broke, don't fix (update) it.

Do that, and SP3 will have nothing to offer besides possibly messing things up. All that aside, I believe the problems you described are portions of the web page that use javascript. Many people are having problems with it after some recent browser updates.

Also you said "their error screen". What error screen would that be?

Note that SP3 is perfectly safe to install on a fresh machine, BEFORE you install 3rd party software, I just can't recommend it otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.