Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this? I have a JetDirect 175x that I am connecting to an HP LaserJet 1200 series printer. I want to now add this printer to my network print server but in order to do that I need to change the JetDirect to a static IP in my network. The device automatically gets the following network settings:

IP Address: 10.146.17.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway: 10.146.16.1

I tried telnetting to the device to change the IP address and subnet mask and gateway to:

IP Address: 10.2.12.x (something in the valid range)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.2.12.1

When I telnet to that IP (10.146.17.1) it gives me a 'Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed", but I know that telnet is enabled and that it is using port 23.

I try to ping the IP and I get 100% loss. I changed the port being used on the switch and it still gives the same errors and all the other computers plugged into the same switch have no problem. The switch is a linksys Etherfast 10/100 8-port workgroup switch which is plugged into our campus's network which is where it is getting its gateway address and other DHCP values but it will not assign one to the print server.

I have tried using HP Install Network Printer Wizard and HP Web Jetadmin but these tools are useless as they will only discover devices on the current network which the print server is not on.

Has anyone ever seen this problem? I do not have a browser GUI where I can easily change any of the printer settings either. I literally have no access to the print server other than being able to print the configuration page.

HP's documentation for any problems at all is terrible and I haven't been able to find anything relevant other than incessant plugs for their piece of crap Web Jetadmin tool. I've opened a ticket with our OIT but if anyone knows of a simpler thing to do please share. Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would try doing a hard reset on the device (id assume its possible) hook the printer up do the test page to get the IP and try again. I have tried accessing it through a web browser?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've tried that. When I unhook the print server and plug it back in it gets the exact same configuration settings on each configuration I've printed out. The actual printer isn't installed anywhere currently because I'm trying to install it on the network using the print server's IP. It is not a printer where I can pull up a browser GUI and confgure network settings for it, thats what the print server is for. Kind of like a NIC for the printer. I've tried accessing it through the browser too that's how I know it just does a time out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.