Tech Support Guy banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts
SaMyMAS
I thought the automatic repair on dual boot repair - as listed on the website
Dual-boot Repair Windows 10 (boyans.net)
In the current implementation the "Automatic Repair" option does not fix the booting of all installed Windows systems - it fixes the booting only of the latest Windows OS installed on your computer. For fine tuning Windows boot and eventually fixing the booting of other installed Windows systems (Windows XP to Windows 10) you should use Visual BCD Editor (Visual BCD Editor runs on Windows Vista and later).

Has it solved your present problem ?

Akril

1. Before you take the laptop for repair -irrespective of you having the clone I STRONGLY recommend you make an image on your external hard drive, of the present drive using Macrium which of course you have installed
You can then when the laptop comes back to your restore NOT your programs -apps etc but all your personal data, docs, images, videos, favourites etc to the laptop, in their respective OS, you simply open Macrium, explore image and you can copy whatever you wish back to the repaired drive.

2. I doubt, but of course I may be proved wrong that the problem can be repaired, without a fresh install of 7.
As a repair install of 7 which saves all your data and apps (programs) can only be carried out from within Windows 7.
Not from the recovery usb or the installation media.

3. It maybe that there is some problem with the firmware settings, but without being able to see what is available and HP even in the service manual do not show images of the BIOS pages or list the settings and in some HP laptops user variables are extremely limited in the UEFI firmware. Or the problem may be within Windows 7 itself, with a driver, which is perhaps illustrated by the red streak and the repeated failure to load - and the disk check message and Blue Screen of Death.

4. I am sure you do not want to try further BCD fixes, as we have already tried 3 or 4.

5. You may not like this suggestion, but it is my strong recomendation that you cease using 7.
The OS is effectively dead in lifespan. There are NO security updates from Microsoft, no version updates and even MORE and MORE software providers are dumping 7 completely.
The choice of Anti Virus on 7 is becoming very limited and even those that still offer one, stress that its ability is limited, compared with when it was updated as a result of Microsoft updating their AV and publishing to third party AV providers - the discovered threat - to security.
The third party providers, will not be writing new AV security versions for windows 7 and certainly NOT for the free versions.

6, As a closing possible progress I recommend if you have not already done so that you commission MALWAREbytes TO SCAN THE WINDOWS 7 DRIVE.
I presume although I do not use malwarebytes that you can select the drive you wish to scan.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
1. Before you take the laptop for repair -irrespective of you having the clone I STRONGLY recommend you make an image on your external hard drive, of the present drive using Macrium which of course you have installed
You can then when the laptop comes back to your restore NOT your programs -apps etc but all your personal data, docs, images, videos, favourites etc to the laptop, in their respective OS, you simply open Macrium, explore image and you can copy whatever you wish back to the repaired drive.
Okay, I'll get an image made ASAP.

5. You may not like this suggestion, but it is my strong recomendation that you cease using 7.
The OS is effectively dead in lifespan. There are NO security updates from Microsoft, no version updates and even MORE and MORE software providers are dumping 7 completely.
The choice of Anti Virus on 7 is becoming very limited and even those that still offer one, stress that its ability is limited, compared with when it was updated as a result of Microsoft updating their AV and publishing to third party AV providers - the discovered threat - to security.
The third party providers, will not be writing new AV security versions for windows 7 and certainly NOT for the free versions.
Yes, I understand that Windows 7 is fairly outdated at this point. I've just been reluctant to switch to a newer OS.

6, As a closing possible progress I recommend if you have not already done so that you commission MALWAREbytes TO SCAN THE WINDOWS 7 DRIVE.
I presume although I do not use malwarebytes that you can select the drive you wish to scan.
I scanned the Windows 7 partition with Malwarebytes, but nothing was detected.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SaMyMAS
I thought the automatic repair on dual boot repair - as listed on the website
In the current implementation the "Automatic Repair" option does not fix the booting of all installed Windows systems

Has it solved your present problem ?
As I stated earlier it had solved the problem on my old laptop/SSD, with having working Win10 and issue on Win7.

The program is actually portable, so no installation is required. Just the unpacking archive and run .exe file. You may want to run it 2-3 times and do it restart after each attempt. As it may take sometime more time to fix the boot.

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts
Peter
I think you could be correct but the last driver to load is NOT the driver to blame, it is usually the next driver - eg the one that has NOT loaded.

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
I think it is the luck of the draw
I just booted mine to safe mode with networking
The file after CLASSPNP.SYS on mine is
amdlog.sys

It looks as if the next driver to load after CLASSPNP.SYS is agp440.sys.
Where did you get the info saying it is agp440.sys

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I think it is the luck of the draw
I just booted mine to safe mode with networking
The file after CLASSPNP.SYS on mine is
amdlog.sys

Where did you get the info saying it is agp440.sys
I did some searches for "windows 7 safe mode drivers" (or something similar), and that was the driver listed after CLASSPNP.SYS. A few people posted on tech support forums stating the same thing.

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
I think you are making a system image.
One out of left field
If you are sure it is agp440.sys what would happen if you
Went into the windows 7
Windows\system32\drivers. Find the agp440.sys and rename to agp440.old
Try and boot.
I thought I had a windows 7 test system I could test it on for you but it looks like i have dumped it for some reason.
It would take me a bit of time to set a new one up to test the theroy

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
Of course do what macboatmaster advises first.
The other option is if you search for agp440.sys
you will find it in more then 1 place.
So would it work if you renamed the one in windows\system32\drivers to old
Then copy an an older one from another folder (with an older date) into windows\system32\drivers.
For example on mine I have one with an older date then the one currently in windows\system32\drivers(pic attached)
Does this make sense?

Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Magenta

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Of course do what macboatmaster advises first.
The other option is if you search for agp440.sys
you will find it in more then 1 place.
So would it work if you renamed the one in windows\system32\drivers to old
Then copy an an older one from another folder (with an older date) into windows\system32\drivers.
For example on mine I have one with an older date then the one currently in windows\system32\drivers(pic attached)
Does this make sense?

View attachment 300511
I think I understand what you're saying. It may be a long shot, but I'll try it after I've done what Macboatmaster suggested.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Macboatmaster: I followed the steps on the page you linked me to, and was informed that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Windows 7 still doesn't start.

PeterOz: When I renamed AGP440.sys to AGP440.old, I got the same red strip error at the exact same spot when I tried starting Windows 7 in Safe Mode. I tried replacing it with an older version from 2018, but I still got the exact same error in the same spot when I tried starting Windows 7 in Safe Mode.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts