Tech Support Guy banner
81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts
Akril
The reason I was suggesting my last was that the red stripe may suggest there is a graphics error although once control is handed from firmware to windows boot manager, where you see the option for 7 or 10, the booting process then uses the installed graphics driver.
IF you had the Nvidia graphics chip and that was the graphics in use, then changing if possible toi the integrated Intel graphics, may have solved it.
Of course I had no way of knowing which your laptop had
On some laptops tat do have both the processor graphics and the integrated graphics, mains power uses the Nvidia and battery power uses the integrated, as that is less power demand.

If there is a graphic problem it is likely to be a windows 7 driver, that has been installed.

I am not leaving you, but for the time being, may I take a back seat and leave you with Peter - you never know - a fresh approach may solve it.

Before I go did this error occur completely out of the blue, or had you made some changes of ANY description - software - BIOS - driver changes etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Akril
The reason I was suggesting my last was that the red stripe may suggest there is a graphics error although once control is handed from firmware to windows boot manager, where you see the option for 7 or 10, the booting process then uses the installed graphics driver.
IF you had the Nvidia graphics chip and that was the graphics in use, then changing if possible toi the integrated Intel graphics, may have solved it.
Of course I had no way of knowing which your laptop had
On some laptops tat do have both the processor graphics and the integrated graphics, mains power uses the Nvidia and battery power uses the integrated, as that is less power demand.

If there is a graphic problem it is likely to be a windows 7 driver, that has been installed.
Okay. So there's nothing I can do regarding the graphics driver? Windows 10 says I have the most up-to-date version installed.

Before I go did this error occur completely out of the blue, or had you made some changes of ANY description - software - BIOS - driver changes etc.
I don't think I made any changes like that. The error occurred as I was shutting Windows 7 down.

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
I do not have any extra to add really
1) If you fresh start and press F8 you say you do not get Disable Driver Signature or Disable automatic restart.
This was the only two I could suggest as the driver it is hanging on is normally to do with scsi. Such as cd rom or storage device.
2) in the BIOS What drive setting do you have AHCI- IDE - compatibility mode

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
I do not have any extra to add really
1) If you fresh start and press F8 you say you do not get Disable Driver Signature or Disable automatic restart.
This was the only two I could suggest as the driver it is hanging on is normally to do with scsi. Such as cd rom or storage device.
I do have the options for both of those under Advenced Boot Options. I tried Disabling Driver Signature Reinforcement and got the same red strip appearing on the "Starting Windows" screen. If I Disable Automatic Restart, the same thing happens, except the computer (obviously) doesn't restart.

I looked around in the BIOS, but I couldn't find any mention of AHCI or IDE anywhere.

Edit: Could this whole issue possibly be due to a hardware problem?

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts
Akril
I DO NOT THINK SAMySAS`s method will fix your problem and I am still UNSURE if he is saying that it has FIXED his dual boot problem so that either OS will now load

The main point is that lettering the EFI partition and formatting it and then using the cmds is a standard method when it is thought that the EFI FAT partition is CORRUPTED

It is worth a try, just in case your EFI partition is corrupted
If it is, and personally I doubt that is the cause of your problems, then the lettering and formatting of it and the recreation of the boot may solve it.

The procedure is there on his post but here is an addtional link to the full procedure
How to Repair EFI/GPT Bootloader on Windows 10 or 11? | Windows OS Hub (woshub.com)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Macboatmaster: I had a closer look at the page you linked me to, and a lot of it seems like methods I've attempted before, and at this point, I'm not sure if it would do much good.

Also, I've done a bit of thinking, and while I do appreciate all the help I've been getting from Macboatmaster and PeterOz, since this thread has been going on for over three weeks and the problem doesn't seem like it's any closer to being resolved, I think I should take my laptop to a repair shop. Again, while I truly appreciate the advice I've been receiving, this might just be an issue that can only be resolved by someone taking an actual, physical look at my laptop.

Thanks again and best wishes!

·
Trusted Advisor
3,837 Posts
I've been using it to clone my computer's contents
So a clone should be an image of the entire HDD so you can swap the drive out
Do you have a clone from before the problem..
This is assuming by clone you mean
Cloning creates an exact, uncompressed replica of your entire drive or specific partitions of your drive. Because disk clones are uncompressed, they can be immediately replicated to a target backup drive or the cloud, so you have an up-to-date, identical copy of your data.
From here

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would, but that would mean reinstalling a lot of programs (I've had this laptop since 2016). I'd like to avoid that if I can.
Wait, try to recover it with ‘Dual-Boot Recover’. This App fixed boot on my old laptop. So I would be happy to guide you through this if you are ready to try.

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts
No it is not a general thread, it is a thread started by Avril and whilst anyone may post suggestions as to how to solve his problem, it is not appropriate for you or anyone to start asking for advice on THEIR problem on this thread.
As I said I thought at first that you were saying
YOU HAD SOLVED your dual boot prolem where 10 would load from the boot menu but 7 would not.
I then realised or think that is the situation, that you have NOT solved your dual boot problem.
Therefore you should indeed start your own thread.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Do you have a clone from before the problem..
This is assuming by clone you mean

From here
Yes, that's what I mean. Unfortunately, I don't have a clone from before the problem.

I'll give the Dual-Boot Repair program a try, but if that doesn't work, I'm taking my laptop in to the shop.
Edit: I just noticed this line on the site:
In the current implementation the "Automatic Repair" option does not fix the booting of all installed Windows systems - it fixes the booting only of the latest Windows OS installed on your computer. For fine tuning Windows boot and eventually fixing the booting of other installed Windows systems (Windows XP to Windows 10) you should use Visual BCD Editor (Visual BCD Editor runs on Windows Vista and later).
Since it's Windows 7 and not Windows 10 that's the problem here, it doesn't look like this program can help me, and at this point, I don't have much hope that this other program is going to fix things.

·
Trusted Advisor
25,676 Posts
Akriil
Can you hang on until I have had evening meal
I already knew that with Boyans you would need visual bcd editor for UEFI

I am reasonably convinced that after trying manual rebuilding of BCD which is what we did first, then Macrium (usually fixes it) then EasyBCD which works but warns that not all options are available that the problem IS NOT the BCD itself.

If you can wait just a couple of hours I have some suggestions - NOT necessarily to fix the original problem, but certainly in your best interest BEFORE you submit the laptop for possible repair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since it's Windows 7 and not Windows 10 that's the problem here, it doesn't look like this program can help me, and at this point, I don't have much hope that this other program is going to fix things.
This is your choice. Like I said, the software fixed the dual boot for my Windows 7. It is designed to repair BCD from Win7 to 10, regardless what OS is functional at the time. The only requirement is to have at least one working OS.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

81 - 100 of 160 Posts