Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 and Windows 7 on an HP 14-al061nr laptop. I use Windows 7 almost all of the time, but when I shut my computer down recently, I briefly saw a BSOD pop up, but then the computer shut down completely. When I tried starting it up again, I got a black screen informing me that "Windows failed to start", giving me the option to Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. If I choose the former, I get another black screen informing me that windows failed to start, including these lines at the bottom:
Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
If I try starting Windows 7 normally (even in Safe Mode), I briefly see the same BSOD before the computer attempts restarting again, informing me that "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer", advising me to run "chkdsk /f" and ending with the code "STOP: 0x0000007b (oxFFFFF880009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x000000000000,0x000000000000)".

I've made a Windows 7 recovery USB and sought out various solutions online, including:

-Running "Repair your computer" from the USB (most of the time this results in a window informing me that "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" -- even the one time when I was informed that "Startup Repair could not detect a problem", I got the same BSOD when I restarted and attempted starting Windows 7).​
-Running "bootrec /fixboot", "bootrec /scanos", "bootrec /fixmbr", and "bootrec /rebuildbcd" from the command prompt.​
-running "chkdsk /r" from the command prompt (I tried running "chkdsk /f" as well, which resulted in the line "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive"). On the advice I got from another forum, I also tried "chkdsk /r /x driveletter:" on the drive Windows 7 is installed on (drive D).​
-Running sfc /scannow from the command prompt.​
-Resetting the BIOS to its default settings.​
-Selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Windows 7 boot options (this results in the same BSOD, then the computer restarts).​

This problem is especially difficult since the symptoms seem to keep changing. The BSOD message remains consistent, but the messages I get when I go into the advanced boot options for Windows 7 and select "Repair my computer" seem to keep changing almost every time I restart.

At one point the text started with the "Windows failed to start" message I mentioned earlier, but after a few restarts and repair attempts, I was instead informed that there was a problem with winload.efi (including the phrase "The digital signature cannot be verified"), but now the message has reverted back to the way it was originally.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, and hope there's somebody here who might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Note: Despite all the issues mentioned above, I'm still able to run Windows 10 and access all my files, and I can see the Windows 7 partition in Disk Management (the partition type is GPT).

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
There's nothing wrong with posting an issue on multiple forums.
We just like to make that known so that repetitive or conflicting advice isn't given.

-------------------------------------------------

·
Trusted Advisor
3,845 Posts
Have you tried a restore on 10 and 7
It could be a 10 update that caused the problem.
I assume your bios is set to uefi and not legacy

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the reply.

My BIOS actually was set to Legacy, but when I set it to UEFI and tried starting Windows 7, instead of the BSOD, the "Starting Windows" animation froze and a strip of red showed up at the top of the screen which had a couple rows of something like TV static appear on it before the computer restarted again. Something very similar to this happened on this laptop several months ago (which I'm pretty sure was also due to an interrupted update).

I tried running System Restore from the Windows 7 USB, but was notified that "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point open System Protection". When I clicked on the System Protection test, I got a window informing me that "Your computer is running in a limited diagnostic state. If you use System Restore in this limited state, you cannot undo the restore point." Clicking Ok (my only option) simply closes that window, leaving me with no other option in System Restore aside from Cancel.

I haven't done anything with Windows 10 apart from starting it up and trying to back up my files. I don't think an interrupted Windows 10 update is the problem here, since I can't connect to the internet on this Windows 10 installation.

·
Trusted Advisor
3,845 Posts
internet on this Windows 10 installation.
What Error do you get
My BIOS actually was set to Legacy
Most windows 7 were legacy installs - but not all
Was this a windows 10 when you first got it and you then installed windows 7
After changing the bios does windows 10 still boot

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What Error do you get
My home's Wi-Fi network doesn't show up in the list of available networks -- the only ones I see are all called "Hidden Network". If I manually add the network from Network and Sharing Center, it still fails to show up. I've tried everything listed on this page (as well as other methods listed elsewhere), and nothing has worked.

Was this a windows 10 when you first got it and you then installed windows 7
After changing the bios does windows 10 still boot
Yes, this PC originally only had Windows 10 installed. If I boot up Windows 10 with Legacy Mode disabled, it starts just fine (still no Internet, though).

·
Trusted Advisor
3,845 Posts
Your first post says you have rebuilt the bcd.

You say here that your drive is GPT which is used for UEFI
Windows 7 partition in Disk Management (the partition type is GPT).
Here you say your bios was legacy which needs MBR
My BIOS actually was set to Legacy
I will ask @Macboatmaster to have a look

·
Trusted Advisor
25,679 Posts
Boot to Windows 10
Using file explorer check the letter allocated to windows 7
When in 10 the OS drive will more than likely be lettered C
However when in 7 if you could boot to it that woiuld then be lettered C
and 10 would then be a different letter

So whilst in 10 and having noted the letter allocated to 7
open a cmd prompt with admin rights
and type each of the cmds shown pressing enter after each one

bcdedit /export c:\oldstore

bcdedit /createstore c:\emptystore

bcdedit /import c:\emptystore /clean

bcdboot c:\windows
For dual boot, you also need:
bcdboot e:\Windows
OR whatever letter for 7 was shown as explained above

then PROVIDING you have not received any error messages close the cmd prompt.
exit out of any open apps to desktop
shut down completely
Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

Restart and see if it is fixed in respect of the dual boot
This method will not have any efect on the lack of internet connection - which is not on the facts available related to the dual boot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Macboatmaster: I went through all the steps you mentioned, and didn't encounter any errors. However, when I shut my laptop down and tried starting Windows with Legacy Mode disabled, I got the "red strip" error I mentioned earlier. I then tried enabling Legacy Mode, and this time I got a "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause" screen. I tried opening Windows 7 in Safe Mode and got the same BSOD (I got it when I tried Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally as well).

PeterOz: I tried following the steps on the page I linked you to. The total number of Windows installations found turned out to be zero, but when I then entered "attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s", I got a line that read "Path not found - C:\boot".

·
Trusted Advisor
25,679 Posts
I recommend you make a Windows 10 USB installation and boot the comnputer from that
To do so go here
Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

and follow the procedure under
Create Windows 10 installation media
Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.
You are not going to use it for the clean or reinstall but to repair if possible the existing windows 10.

This presumes that I have read your post correctly and that you can NOT now boot to windows 10.
Please post back when you have the windows 10 USB prepared.

·
Trusted Advisor
25,679 Posts
I am sorry but your post 15 suggested to me, that following the rebuild of the bcd - (boot configration data) that you could not now boot to either.

Boot to windows 10
open a cmd prompt with admin rights
noting the lettered partition for 7 which I think you say is D
at the cmd prompt type
D:
that is D and colon
press enter
the cmd prompt should now show D:
type
chkdsk /r
press enter
Either it will proceed to a five stage chkdsk /r
or it will tell you that you must either close all open handles Y/N
type N
then you will be offered run on restart Y/N
now type Y
and restart

If you know how to find the results in event viewer please do so it is under
wininit
or post back when chkdsk completed and I will advise

I realise you have alreadsy attempted chkdsk, but the way I read your post you tried that from a windows 7 recovery usb - which of course presents you with an X:
being a cmd prompt for a drive creasted in ram - where the procedure for running chkdsk is different

·
Trusted Advisor
25,679 Posts
Please follow this
Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
if the chkdsk ran on reboot the search is
wininit

if it ran without reboot the search is
chkdsk

When you have the log open, checking it is for the correct disk check
You will see copy at the end of the window, or you may use copy in the right hand pane
as text

and then paste to reply

1 - 20 of 160 Posts