Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't Start Computer

710 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ebony 
#1 ·
When I tried to start my computer this morning it got to the point where the Windows XP Home logo showed and then gave the message:"System error An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function".
I then booted on safe mode and got the same message.
I booted in "Last known good configuration" and got the message:"When trying to update password the return status that the value provided as the current status is not correct".
I tried Windows Repir but I don't know where to go with it.
I did run a complete Virus scan with Kaspersky yesterday and the computer was clean.
What can I do next?

#3 ·
I carried out a Windows repair and now when I boot I get the message after the Windows logo appears:'ISASS.EXE When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct". This message stays for a few seconds and then the system shuts down and reboots. The repair didn't give me two options.

#6 ·
That error can be associated to the Optix.Pro virus.

Do youuse antivirus software,and if so,did you create the rescue disks?
If you did, run the disks at startup and repair the virus.

If not:
You can try a dos virus scan utility, like the ones here
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/virus.html
Download the program Anti-Virus for DOS

#9 ·
Sorry, didnt read your original post close enough, you are using XP home? Dont know why, but I thought for some reason it was 2000. Dont think you can run a DOS scan (WinXP doesnt have DOS).

All I triggered on was the isass.exe virus.

Here is the only fix I know of available (not positive it will work in all environments though)

1. Install a second bootable (operating system on it) drive in the PC. Make this new drive the master, the old drive the slave, and reboot.
The first (bad) drive should now be labeled D and be visible under Windows explorer.

2. Copy all "Security" files from D:/Windows/repair into D:/Windows/System32/config .

3. The drive should now boot again, If you originally had a password, all files under "My Documents" will be "Not accessible" when trying to access them.

4. To recover the "Not accessible" files (my documents) download and run PC Inspector File Recovery (free from Download.com).

If you dont have access to a second drive, then unfortunately you will need to format and reinstall windows. (catastrophic failure)

Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.