Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using my computer one day when i had been playing a game. I took out the game cd so i could start using different cd for something else but strangely i went to my computer and it still showed the game cd as being in the drive. I thought well no problem ill just restart the computer and it should be fine. I did, and when i logged in, a new problem. All of my desktop was missing, and it had been loading for a few minutes so i just cut it off again and turned it back on in hope that it would finally work correctly. Instead, the opposite happened :( When i turned it back on for the 2nd time, it went to the screen where it says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully.......etc etc." So, i have the option of choosing safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good configuration, or normally. Unfortunately, not a single one of them work.

If i click start normally, it proceeds as if it were going to load where it says Windows XP Home Edition with the loading bar....but then the screen changes to DSUB power saving mode, and then quickly goes back to the screen to choose which mode to boot in.

If i try any of the 3 safe modes, it comes up with a list of lots of different items like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32.....etc etc.

Also, please note that i do not have my windows xp disk that i got when i first bought the computer(cant find it).

So, does this mean i have to buy windows xp again? And if so, have i lost all my files on the computer? :((((((

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
what happens after it shows the drivers being loaded? (multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\system32), which is normal. Usually stops around mup.sys.

If you don't have your original install disk, that makes it a bit more difficult. If you have any 2k or xp disk laying around, you can still get to the repair console, which should allow you to check the drive in DOS.

But what happens in safe mode?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok when i try the safe mode it stops at agp440.sys, and sits there for about 5 seconds...then it says DSUB power saving mode, then it reverts back to which mode to boot in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, i managed to make it get to a different screen. I unplugged everything but the monitor and cut it on and it flashed to a greenish screen that said boot(f10) BIOS(f2). Then it flashed to a screen saying "No keyboard was found ........"

Then, i plugged in the keyboard and tuned it back on while repeatedly pressing f10.
It took me to this screen, http://search.nccl.sony.co.jp/pc/solution/sousa/safemode/device.gif

except mine has different devices listed..........

edit: my devices listed are

ATAPI CD-ROM
Removable Dev.
Hard Drive
IBA 4.1.08 Slot 0240

or, if i repeatedly press f2 i get to something similar to this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00506019.jpg

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
the second screen is your bios setup utility. DSUB is usually not good. What make/model is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not too sure on the model, i cant check atm because im not with the computer currently but im gonnago try and look for it online. The thing is at least 5-6 years old.

edit: its a gateway also, i believe

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
well, regardless, I don't think you are going to like the answers given.....dsub is usually something pretty fatal......I'll keep looking, but all I've dug up so far has been a motherboard replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure DSUB is bad? Before this problem occured, if i left the computer for say 5 mins it would change to a screen saying DSUB Power Saving Mode. I thought it was just like a screensaver kinda thing......

oh wait..........i did change one setting in power options. I got annoyed with it constantly going to screensaver mode and i went into power options and switched the option: Turn off hard disks from 5 mins to never. I hope this wasnt the problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.