Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I have Nero which comes with it a great program called InCD. The problem is that it keeps writing to my external CDRW when I am trying to safely remove it using Windows "Safely Remove Hardware". I found this out cause I downloaded a utility that identifies the program writing to the drive. Even when I haven't opened or used InCD in months, it is still writing to the drive preventing me from stopping the external drive. Ok, no biggy. But then I got a Memorex mini flash drive for file storage and the same thing happened. And the flash drive is blank cause I wouldn't put any files on it till the situation was resolved. I went into MSCONFIG and unchecked the two InCD startup entries but it still would write to the drive preventing me from safely removing hardware. I also stopped the InCD program using the task Mgr but this did not help either. I finally had to uninstall InCD and then I was able to safely remove hardware on my CDRW and Flash drive.
Anybody have any other suggestions cause I really like the InCD program.
Thanks a lot
Angie

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Well packet writing software has always been buggy. Have you downloaded and installed the latest patches for the Nero InCD and Nero / Nero Express for whatever version you're running?

·
Registered
317 Posts
what operating system are you running?

these are usb devices.

do the devices show up in

start -> settings -> control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager

are any flagged with yellow or red markings.

depending on operating system and motherboard you can have problems
with usb devices. motherboard drivers for usb need to be installed
and still be there functioning.

it is best to figure out the usb issue first with the flash drive. maybe
whatever with the usb may solve the incd cdrw issue but as mentioned
having the latest version your system can use may cure that issue.

·
Super Moderator
46,575 Posts
What the "Safely remove hardware" icon actually does when you use it is to flush the cache; that is all. You can remove a usb device without using the safely remove icon if you want.

BTW I would not use INCD for any type of backup. In order to access any files written with INCD, you need to install the program or the udf app on nero's site. I would just use nero to burn a data CD; this is usable in any system.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
To back up what crjdriver driver says I would get used to not having INCD installed. Packet writing such as INCD is not reliable. Unfortunately the first time you find this out is when you lose your first data from a disc. Don't learn the hard way.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Moby said:
To back up what crjdriver driver says I would get used to not having INCD installed. Packet writing such as INCD is not reliable. Unfortunately the first time you find this out is when you lose your first data from a disc. Don't learn the hard way.
i've had various luck with it. with windows 98 it was bad, windows 98se
better, windows 2000 or later it has been OK.

it is a good point to verify your data from the cd before erasing it off
your hard drive. copy it from the cd to a different directory of your
hard drive and verify you can use it before you erase it from your
hard drive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses.
No, I did not download a patch for Incd. I'll got to the site now and look for it. Thanks for the info.

So that's all SRH does? It simply flushes the cache. Very helpful info. Thanks. I thought I was doing something really detrimental removing it without Window's ok.

Yeah, I hate learning things the hard way. Thanks for the InCD warning.

I am running Windows XP Home Operating system on a relatively new computer (Emachines) that was made last year. Pretty up to date on the USB thing. No yellow question marks or red markings on the CDRW external drive or the Flash Drive.

Off I go to the Nero site for the patch.
Thank you all.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can also configure USB devices for "quick removal", which inhibits any caching. Access is a bit slower, but you can safely remove them as soon as disk activity ceases.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bugger. I couldn't find the InCD patch. Looked on the Nero Website and searched the web. Did find a newer version for InCd on theirisite but it did not help. I ran their cleaner to clean the registry of older versions and did another install of the entire program but no dice. Argh..

That's great information JonWill. I'll give it a try.

Again, thank you all for your time.

Angie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just googled "usb quick removal" and they told you to go to device mgr and select the drives from the list. select properties and then policies. Problem is under "write cache and safe removal" it is greyed. Can't change it to "quick removal" for the flash drive and for the CDRW, there isn't even a tab for Policies. Any way around this? Geez!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You don't need to do that for a CD-RW drive, and the option appears for USB mass storage. Interestingly, I plugged a new USB FLASH drive in, and it came up with caching enabled. However, I plugged in an older one, and it came up with the options for caching, and it's marked for quick removal. Here's the screens from various types of devices, only one has the different prompt, I'll have to check into that, never saw it before. :) I actually have a couple more I tested, but I can only attach five files. :) They also showed they were optimized for quick removal as default. The one generic model does indeed enable write caching by default, I wonder if that was an attempt to make it appear faster than it actually is on benchmarks. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is interesting information. I just tried that myself. I plugged in my older 256mb PNY flash drive and yeah, it has the options for caching available and it was also enabled for quick removal as default. Could it be because my newer flash drive has the new U3 software on it - which makes the flash drive a kind of hard drive that can be used with a host computer - that is gumming up the works? But then why is InCd causing the conflict with my CRDW external drive writing to it, even when the program isn't open? My computer froze the last time I connected the CDRW to my computer with InCD installed. Had to manually shut the computer down. (Ahhh. Just talking out loud. I hate unsolvable problems. ) Anyhow, JohnWill, I so appreciate the time you took with me. I only wish Nero and Memorex took as much time with solving the problem as you did.
All the best,
Angie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mystery solved as to why it was greyed in Policy/options. Because the drive wasn't plugged in when I checked it. I had enabled "Hidden devices" in Device mgr. as per the instructions I got from a website. It said the device didn't have to be plugged in to change it's options. Appearantly it did. :D So, when plugged in, it is optimized for quick removal. Yay! Problem solved.
That was very helpful information about this option being changed so that you could remove a device without having to use the "Safely remove hardware" feature. I never knew that was available. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.