Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got a laptop running XP Media center that wouldnt boot fully or would boot then freeze. I took the HD out and scanned it on my pc with malwarebytes and avg both of which found and removed lots of infected files.

When i put the hd back in the laptop and boot it i get the following errors:

Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\msfat.exe (press ok) then:
Windows could not load c:\windows\system32\msfat.exe specified in the registry (press ok) then:
Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\mswdlaro.exe (press ok) then:
Windows could not load c:\windows\system32\mswdlaro.exe specified in the registry (press ok).

Whenever i try to run a program i get a windows popup asking which program to use to open the file.

Is this fixable please?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
cdpaul, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the file to the problem computer.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It sounds very likely that your computer was pretty heavily infected. Given by what you have mentioned so far (.EXE files no longer being recognised, and unable to access the Registry), it's not likely that you can recover easily.

If you have not done so already, backup anything that is important to you. Pictures, videos, documents, basically anything you can't replace.

The next thing to do is to reinstall Windows. Depending on what you think is best, you can choose to:

1. Do a repair install (how-to guide here: http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm), which should rebuild Windows and leave all other files intact (you may have to reinstall some programs), but may still contain traces of infection, or

2. Do a complete reinstall (how-to guide here: http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm), where you format the drive completely, which would remove all traces of infection, and reinstall Windows and all programs from scratch.

You might be best to wait for more knowledgeable members to assist, but as far as I can see, this is the best option to take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.