Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a new Acer desktop computer with XP that has shown no problems. It’s not networked. Just got a ‘new-to-me’ Ricoh printer, an AP3800C. It is a legacy (older) but gorgeous printer, and it printed beautifully in the shop.
:eek:I got the drivers from the Ricoh website and added the printer via control panel – printers & faxes – add a printer, as the drivers are .inf and not self-executing. When I send a job to print, it doesn’t show up in the queue and nothing happens. The computer will send to another printer with no problem.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and rebooted both computer and printer many times. The printer shows no error message and displays ‘ready’ on its screen. The AP3800C comes with three drivers, PCL5c; Adobe PostScript 3; and Ricoh's own RPCS (refined printing command stream). Have tried printing with each, as each installed separately under different names.
Tried printing from Wordpad, and from command.
Have booted computer both with printer on and printer off, (then turn printer on). No error messages, nothing. Print spooler and RPC are both on.
This is the first time I have used the parallel port on this computer. I do not have another peripheral with a parallel but tested LPT1 (it works, according to Windows) but uninstalled and reinstalled LPT1 from Device Manager for good measure.
Ran a little app called Driver Detective, which didn’t pick up the AP3800 drivers at all, but did detect other printer/scanner drivers. However, when I try to print, a full dialogue box comes up with all the features of the Ricoh AP3800, so I believe the drivers are installed. The printer shows in the printers and faxes folder.
When tried to print test pages, one time I noticed that a ‘1’ showed up in the print queue very briefly before disappearing. All other times, I never saw a change – the queue simply appeared empty.
Ran the Troubleshooting wizard three times. The only thing I didn’t check was the parallel cable itself, as I don’t have another one yet.
Ran out of ideas.
I am not an expert, probably average end-user. Have I overlooked something obvious?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Have you checked what options are enabled in BIOS under Integrated Peripherals, Onboard Parallel Port and Parallel Port Mode (if your BIOS is similar to mine)? It's a vain hope, but you never know. :)
To get into BIOS you repeatedly press a specific key immediately on switching on the PC. It's usually F2 or delete.
Good luck! :up:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, and thank you very much for the suggestion, it didn't happen to resolve the issue because the port was enabled but it is a nice one to have up my sleeve from now on!

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.