Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a small network at home. Cable modem then D-Link router to which 3 pc's are connected to. All 3 pc's hook up fine to each other and the Internet.

A friend brought his pc over for me to look at because of viruses and so on. Ran all the usual progs on it such as Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, AVG, and so on. Removed a bunch of worms and trojans. Now, for some reason I can't get it to connect. I can't get a DHCP ip from my D-Link. Can't figure it out. It worked before I ran all the anti-virus software because I was able to get AVG and Ad-Aware SE. After running those (and Search & Destroy) and after they cleaned out stuff, I can't get this pc on the network!

I have checked and triple checked everything I can think of. This pc (an Emachine) has a modem and Nic card. The network connection is set up as obtain Ip automatically; set up the same as my other 3 pc's! When I do a IPCONFIG/RENEW, I get the error (at the cmd prompt):

An error occured while renewing interface local area connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

I have never seen the above error. Any suggestions?

Please help. Thank you,
Sue

PS: OS is XP Home without SP2. Once I can get it on the Internet, I need to go to MS and get the latest updates.
PSS: while this pc is on my network, my other pc are disconnected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.