Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried reformatting my pc for several times now but I can't reformat it. It just goes up to the stage where I have to pick the drive to format but there are no drives to choose from. The drives doesn't show and I can't pick the C drive to format or see any other drive. I don't have anything listed. My box just says Unknown Disk (There is no disk in this drive.) It just stops there and I can't proceed.

My PC specs are:
HP Pavilion desktop M7567c
Installed memory 2048/PC2-4200 Dual
CPU Type Intel Pentium
CPU Speed 3.40 GHz/800MHz
CPU l2 Cache Size 2048 KB x 2

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, from bootable cds. one is a winxp +sp2 cd that my friend lent me. worked with my laptop. another is an windows media center oem(i have media center installed). and another one is a windows xp pro. all these are bootable and tested in my laptop and worked. thanks.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
You may need to wipe the drive with this utiltiy before XP will recognize it properly.

It is a bootable CD, it will run automatically once booted, let it run for a few minutes, remove the CD, pop in the XP CD, then do a hard shutdown of the PC, otherwise the wipe CD will erase the entire hard drive which is not necessary in your case and could take some time. Boot from the XP CD again and see if it will format now.

See "Stable Releases" section

http://www.dban.org/download

This program will erase any and all partitions and data from the drive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, it shows in bios.

mumbodog, i just popped in the boot and nuke and it says it would wipes out ide and scsi drives. my pc came with a c partition and a d partition. i have about 250 gb of data in the drive. would it wipe it out too? every time i formatted, it just cleans out the c drive so i put all my files in the d drive. i am afaid if i use the boot and nuke, it would erase my files in the d drive. thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi simpswr,

this is what shows in bios:

first channel device 0 [wdc wd 3000js-6]
first channel device 1 [none]
second channel device 0 [wdc wd 3000js-6]
second channel device 1 [none]
third channel device 0 [tsstcorp cd/dvd]
third channel device 1 [ide-dvd drom 62]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for being a newbie. the pc when i bought it had the d drive on it. so, does that mean if i use the boot and nuke, it won't erase the files in the drive? i'm scared of it wiping it all out as i haven't backed it up or copied the files. thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.