Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Windows XP and one day my desktop showed up with the image that comes on a webpage when there should be a picture but it didn't download properly and around it is a box as if that is where the image would have been. I can't highlight it or select it in any way. I can change the background to some other image and it is still there. If I change the Order of the Icons it doesn't move at all. I am lost at what to do. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Were you trying to make the image as your desktop background image? Rather than the one's on the list provided by your desktop background image selection.

Otherwise, try to reboot. It probably got 'choke' and forgot to clear what it was suppose to do.

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,803 Posts
Couple of things you can try.

Right click on the object and rename it, then try to delete it.

Create a new folder on your desktop call it what you like. Drag and drop the offending object into the new folder, and try and delete the new folder.

Boot into safe mode, and try to delete the object.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Is there any way that you can take a screen shot of this for us? If you don't have a screen shot program you can press Alt+Shift+Print Screen, open up an image editing program and select Edit -> Paste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for taking a while to get back with you. I didn't have access to the specific computer for a while. The object or what ever it is acts just like the desktop. I can't click on it, right click, highlight move it or anything else. It did show up in safe mode. It is still there when I change my background. I can put icons on top of it. It only changes when I move the start task bar to the left or top. And in those positions if I increase the task bar size the problem image or whatever gets smaller as you can see in the pictures. In 2 of the pictures I have made the task bar really big to exaggerate the change so you can see. But if the task bar is on the bottom of the screen or on the right no matter what I do there is no change to the problem image.

I don't recall down loading anything around this time I don't think that is the problem.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Run regedit and navigate to the key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

In the Left Pane highlight, in turn, each of the numbered CLSID keys, and look in the Right Pane for associated information.

Is there anything there that is clearly out of place and which might be associated with that icon?

If in doubt, with the NameSpace key selected (highlighted), select File > Export.

Name the key "namespace" and select "Save as Type: Text Files".

Save it to a convenient location and upload it here as an attachment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.