Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem is making me crazy:

I am trying to copy some files to a CD Disk, so that I can open them on a different computer. I have put a disk in the drive, highlighted the file, clicked on "send to", and I get the message: "Please insert a disk into Drive E (or F, whichever I happen to try it with)".

The drives won't recognize that there is a blank CD. If I put in an audio CD or a DVD, it recognizes it, and plays it fine. It's just the blank ones that are giving me a problem. I have tried several different brands of CD . . . same result . . . "Please insert a disk into drive".

Does ANYONE have a remedy for this problem, or a suggestion? Any help will be appreciated.

FYI : My computer is a Dell 8300, running Windows XP. My drives are an NEC CD-RW and a Samsung DVD-ROM.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Hello.
Stupid question.
Are you putting the blank CD in the NEC device?

Open "my computer".
RIGHT click the NEC drive
Left click "properties"
Left click the "recording" tab.
Is the box "enable recording on this drive" checked?

When did the problem begin?
Can you associate the onset of the problem to the addition or removal of hardware or software, to include an update to Windows or your antivirus program? Have you run a registry cleaner recently? I am NOT suggesting that you run a reg cleaner.

Have you EVER been able to burn files on this computer, using this NEC drive.

Basically, to be successful, you need the correct combination of burner / device, optical disk, software.
Are you using CD - R disks? Which brand & model?

Which optical disk are you using?

Which disk burning software is on your computer? Which disk burning software has EVER been installed on your computer?

How to troubleshoot CD playing problems.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641
I realize that your problem is burning, but many of the concepts are the same.

RF123

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.