Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to have a wireless network connection problem at one location of the main public wireless network I use. Network diagnostics shows: Cannot communicate with DNS server. Intel PROSet/Wireless Tools - Manual Diagnostics Tool shows a failure of the Ping Test. I'm using Vista 64.

I can connect to other wireless networks just fine and even the same public wireless network at a different location (same DNS server). However, at the main location I connect to the network but have no internet connectivity and shows IPv4 Connectivity: Local and IPv6 Connectivity: Limited. My friends, also running Vista, can connect just fine to the internet at this location!

I found this:
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ns-server.html

[Which is closed or I would have posted there]

It recommends resetting the Winsock entries to default.

If I do this, do I need to reinstall anything? My other wireless network connections and remote desktop work great now. If I do this reset will it effect these working connections?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since your other connections work, I recommend you don't reset the winsock. You don't have to "reinstall everything", but after a stack reset, you may have to reinstall stuff like Internet Security applications and firewalls.

First off, I'd remove all the stored wireless profiles and try a connection to the wireless network in question and see how that works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I did try removing the stored wireless profile for the public wireless access point but did not remove my other stored profile (for my home router). This did not fix the problem so I guess I'll have to try deleting all of them.

Does "reinstall stuff like Internet Security applications" mean I would have to uninstall and reinstall my NOD32 antivirus?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If it's a plain AV, no. If it's the ESET Security package with the firewall, you'd have to reinstall that.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Nope, Windows Firewall has no problem with resetting the stack. ESET AV doesn't tap into the stack, so it should be unaffected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.