Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pleazze help if you can.
I have a Sony Vaio notebook with windows 2000 OS.

Had a lot of w32/xorala virus infecting my windows system files. Files have been quarantined with virus software (antivir) and now I cant boot up ( not even in safe mode)!

My only option so far seems to be booting from sony instillation CD. This says it will wipe hard drive (c drive) clean.

There is an option for partitioning the drive. Does anyone know about that? Or how to get into dos mode?
Also sony notebook has two drives C for mainly programs and D for data. Does this mean the the D drive will not be wiped?

I still have data which I could not back up because of the virus so I really dont want to wipe it/lose it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
BB

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Your options are very slim, especially since you evidently don't have a Microsoft CD. I presume you have tried "last known good configuration"?

And the only command prompt option is "safe mode with command prompt" which just loads a command shell instead of Explorer. The only other alternative is the Recovery Console, described below.

A very long shot, involving lots of work, which may prove fruitless, is to try to install what is known as the "recovery console" and use some of the repair commands available to repair the master boot record or boot files if they are damaged.

In your case this would involve creating a multi disk floppy booter from which I believe the recovery console can be run. I have not seen this done with Win2K, only XP, so I'm not sure if what these disks provide are similar:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

A description of the Recovery Console can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q229716&

If you get it installed, I would suggest running chkdsk, fixmbr and fixboot commands

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.