Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't boot up to install Win 98

591 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  yonabout 
#1 ·
OK,

Win 95 died on my machine, I kept on getting blue screen error telling me things were bad, and that I should re-install windows. So, I got a copy of Win 98 and a boot disk and used the FORMAT command to wipe my c: drive.

Now, When I boot up without the disk, I get the 'Invalid system disk' error, and when I boot up with the disk, a message tells me that my PC isn't correctly formatted for NT. I've never had NT on my machine, nor do I want to, I just want to get to a point where the CD will run and I can load Win 98.

Any Ideas?

Yonabout

PS. I'm not averse to wiping everything and starting from scratch if someone could tell me how to do it.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have got the wrong boot disk.

You should be able to get the correct boot disk here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

If you get no joy, post back on this thread.

#3 ·
once you have the proper boot disk from bootdisk.com, which is a good site btw, instead of doing format c:

do a format /s on c: the /s being for system files. That will make the hard drive bootable. This will proabably fixed the invalid disk problem.

However, if you had win95 on a fat16 partition, which is sounds like you do/did, then you may want to used fdisk to delete all parititons and then create 1 primary partition using large disk support(fat32) and use 100% of the drive. Then you would format /s.

Just make sure you have the CD key for the win98 cd.

need more details/specifics?

you may also want to post the size of your hard drive(s) and How much ram you have, and processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.