Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

Win 95 died on my machine, I kept on getting blue screen error telling me things were bad, and that I should re-install windows. So, I got a copy of Win 98 and a boot disk and used the FORMAT command to wipe my c: drive.

Now, When I boot up without the disk, I get the 'Invalid system disk' error, and when I boot up with the disk, a message tells me that my PC isn't correctly formatted for NT. I've never had NT on my machine, nor do I want to, I just want to get to a point where the CD will run and I can load Win 98.

Any Ideas?

Yonabout

PS. I'm not averse to wiping everything and starting from scratch if someone could tell me how to do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like you have got the wrong boot disk.

You should be able to get the correct boot disk here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

If you get no joy, post back on this thread.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
once you have the proper boot disk from bootdisk.com, which is a good site btw, instead of doing format c:

do a format /s on c: the /s being for system files. That will make the hard drive bootable. This will proabably fixed the invalid disk problem.

However, if you had win95 on a fat16 partition, which is sounds like you do/did, then you may want to used fdisk to delete all parititons and then create 1 primary partition using large disk support(fat32) and use 100% of the drive. Then you would format /s.

Just make sure you have the CD key for the win98 cd.

need more details/specifics?

you may also want to post the size of your hard drive(s) and How much ram you have, and processor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.