Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I am working on a computer and have never run into this problem before. Usually if I can get a computer to boot to a prompt, I can get it straightened out. This one I can't get it to a prompt. It just comes up and says boot disk failure, replace disk and enter. Or if I put a boot disk in and start it up it says Invalid system disk, replace disk and press enter. I have tried bypassing. and everything else I can think of to get to a prompt and nothing works. Also the CDROM light stays on after it is started. The floppy disk light did stay on all the time after computer started, but the cable was wrong. I changed it and now it only comes on when it is supposed to, but that does not seem to be the case with the CDROM drive. Also the cdrom drive is not being recognized in the bios, but the hard drive and floppy drive are. No one knows anything about this computer. It is AT&T, was sent to a boy from his grandma and I am trying to get it to work for him. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Debbie

No Matter what start up disk or boot up disk I try it says invalid system disk, replace disk and press enter.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Why don't you disconnect the cdrom and just concentrate on why the floppy won't accept a boot disk.....

You might try downloading a new bootdisk.....sometimes they can go bad....

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

Get the windows 98 WinImage, save it to your desktop, double click on it, you'll be prompted for a floppy disk.....and files will be transferred.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have downloaded boot disks and tried them. I have tried at least 20 boot disks, startup for win 95, win 98, boot and diagnose, etc. None do anything. One pc check disk will say starting diagnosing..... and stays like that , goes no further.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Down load the winimage to the machine your using now than extract it to a floppy disk and try using that disk to start the other pc.

Disconnect everything not necessary, only things you need are motherboard, processor, ram, harddrive, floppy, and vid card.

Disconnect the hard drive if the above doesn't work

Make sure the bios are set to check a first, then hdd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate this help so much. This is the first time I have not been able to get a computer to boot to prompt so I can reinstall the software. Thanks any other suggestions? I have tried everything I can think of? It makes it harder because I know nothing about this computer, I don't know if someone else has already tried working on it and messed something up or anything. Thanks for all the help you can give me on it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you looked at the cmos setup of the machine - is it set to hard disk/floppy or CDROM. It should of course be set to floppy.... or have you tried this already?

If it is reading the floppy have you inserted a floppy that has had the sytem transfered to it using the "sys" command from the dos prompt??

Steven

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this same problem and used Acacandy’s link to Dr.D’s site to download ‘Boot Disk Essentials’, followed the instructions and was finally able to load Win98. The prompt let me know that CD-ROM was labeled ‘X’ thereby letting me load the OS. (X:\ enter)

Using standard start up disks gave me an error that let me know that the disks couldn’t be used in Dos. This was the first time I’ve encountered this problem and had formatted the hard drive to load Win98 rather than the Win95 that was previously on it but wouldn’t let me upgrade to Win98.

Thank you Acacandy!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't copy sys command to it, because I can't even get a prompt. A or C or anything else. I have tried all the bootdisks on that site you are talking about except a dos one. I guess I'll try that now. That's part of the problem, not knowing what was on the computer to begin with. Thanks, let me know if you think of anything else. I'll keep trying.
Debbie

·
Account Disabled
1,222 Posts
Check the connections from the floppy drive to the motherboard. If they appear fine, try connecting a different floppy drive that you know works on another computer.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Originally posted by StevenYoungMin
Have you looked at the cmos setup of the machine - is it set to hard disk/floppy or CDROM. It should of course be set to floppy.... or have you tried this already?
Have you looked at this yet?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first error code I got was floppy disk failure (40) I checked and the floppy cable was wrong. And the light was staying on all the time. I changed it and then all I get is disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I did try a cable off a computer that was working, same thing, I tried the floppy drive off a computer that was working, same thing, I tried hard drive off computer that was working, same thing. Yes it recognizing the floppy in the cmos. Yes it is set for a, c . in the cmos. What else?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried the boot essentials disk someone suggested. I got the error message checksum error, I went into setup, and loaded default, rebooted with disk still in and got disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Would you do a directory listing on a working computer on the boot disk you are using?

Also, in the bios setup, floppy drive controller is enabled, correct?

How many chips of ram are in the computer?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.